I cannot understand magnetic field

In summary, a magnetic field is a field that is created by moving charged particles, namely electrons. It is also created by certain materials, such as magnets. Magnetic field is used in different applications, such as electric motors and generators.
k9b4
I have read quite a number of articles on the magnetic field, and I still do not understand.

What is a magnetic field? How is it different to electric field?

I understand that electric field is created by charged particles, but what creates magnetic field?

Why do we even need the concept of a magnetic field? What does it do?

Physics news on Phys.org
k9b4 said:
I understand that electric field is created by charged particles, but what creates magnetic field?

its also created by moving charged particles, namely electrons

k9b4 said:
Why do we even need the concept of a magnetic field? What does it do?

Are you really seriously asking that ?

how about listing all the things a magnetic field is used for in different applications
There's 2 sets for you to think about
electromagnets and permanent magnets

here's a couple to start you off

an electric motor or generator
an electro magnet ( has a bunch of individual uses in different products)

you start searching and listing lots of others in this thread :)

Dave

Magnetic field doesn't exist. Only the electric field exists.

Why do you post such nonsense?

k9b4 said:

as V50 said ... Why do you post such nonsense?

why would you make such a silly comment ?

have you not played with 2 permanent magnets and seen how the ends can repel or attract each other
because of the magnetic field ?

Dave

k9b4 said:

Both the electric and magnetic fields are just different aspects of the combined electromagnetic field. We can think of each one as a different "pure" effect that can be smoothly transformed into the other. For example, a "pure electric field" can nearly be seen as a "pure magnetic field" simply by passing by the field at extreme velocity. At a slower velocity the field would look like a mix of both an electric field and a magnetic field.

k9b4 said:
This is not acceptable. This thread is closed. Do not repost this topic.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that surrounds a magnet or a moving electric charge. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of magnets and the movement of charged particles.

How does a magnetic field work?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of electric charges. In magnets, the electrons in the atoms are all spinning in the same direction, creating a magnetic field. In moving electric charges, such as in a wire conducting electricity, the movement of the charges creates a magnetic field.

Why is it difficult to understand magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are not directly visible or tangible, making them difficult to conceptualize. They also behave in ways that are not intuitive, such as the fact that opposite poles of a magnet attract each other instead of repelling.

What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have many practical uses, including in motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in medical equipment such as MRI machines and in compasses for navigation.

How can I better understand magnetic fields?

To better understand magnetic fields, it can be helpful to visualize them using diagrams or models, and to learn about the fundamental principles of electromagnetism. Experimenting with magnets and conducting simple experiments with electric charges can also aid in understanding magnetic fields.