Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy question on the Second Sylow Theorem

1. Jun 22, 2011 #1
    So Sylow's second theorem tells us that if G is a group, p a prime, and H,K are both p-Sylow subgroups, then [itex] \exists g \in G [/itex] such that [itex] H = gKg^{-1} [/itex]. Now I have some questions about this, because I don't think I've ever properly understood the consequences of this theorem.

My issue I think is really the act of conjugation. Namely, this theorem states that we can always relate two p-Sylow subgroups via conjugation, but is it really more that conjugation is a transitive group action on the set of p-Sylow subgroups?

This may sound silly, but we always say that if there is precisely one p-Sylow subgroup, it must be normal right? But the way that I've always read this is that we can only be assured that there is a single element [itex] g \in G [/itex] such that [itex] gPg^{-1} = P [/itex] and that this needn't hold for all [itex] g \in G[/itex]. So I guess what I'm asking is, does conjugation of a p-Sylow subgroup ALWAYS yield another p-Sylow subgroup? This would then clear up a lot of my confusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi Kreizhn! :smile:

Yes, that's exactly what the theorem says. It says that the conjugation action acts transitively on the p-Sylows.

Yes, the image of a p-Sylow under any automorphism (example a conjuection) is always a p-Sylow. This is true since automorphisms preserve the order of the group. That is, if a group has order pk, then the image under an automorphism will still have order pk.
    This shows in general that if there is precisly one p-Sylow, then it is characteristic (i.e. its image under any automorphism is again the p-Sylow)

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    Excellent. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook