Ecliptic, Celestial equator and horizon?

In summary, the three concepts discussed are the ecliptic, celestial equator, and horizon. The ecliptic is the path the Sun appears to follow in the sky, while the celestial equator is the projection of Earth's equator onto the sky. The horizon is the line that divides the Earth and the sky. One of the main differences between the celestial equator and the horizon is their angles with the ecliptic. The precession of the equinoxes is also mentioned, which is the gradual shift of the vernal equinox point on the celestial equator.
atomqwerty
Hi, I think I have I little misunderstood about these three concepts:
Ecliptic
Celestial equator
Horizon

Can someone explain me the difference between them, specially between the second and the third ones?

Thank you

carlos

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The ecliptic is the plane of the Earth's orbit. From the Earth, it would be the path the Sun follows against the background of the stars during the year.

The celestial equator is simply the Earth's equator projected onto the background of the sky.

The horizon is the dividing line between Earth and sky.

Ecliptic is the path the Sun follows as seen on the sky which is tilted to the equator by about 23.5 degrees.

Celestial equator is the projection of the Earth's equator on the celestial sphere.

Horizon can be considered as a plane tangential to the position of the observer. This is also at an angle with the celestial equator which is equal to the axial tilt.

thank you all
now the biggest doubt I have is the precession of the equinoxes, i mean... where is the Aries point (vernal equinox) right now? and next year? and within 100 years?

Sure, I'd be happy to explain the difference between these three concepts for you.

The ecliptic is an imaginary line that represents the path of the sun as it appears to move across the sky throughout the year. This path is due to the Earth's orbit around the sun. It is tilted at an angle of about 23.5 degrees to the celestial equator.

The celestial equator is an imaginary line that divides the sky into two equal halves - the northern and southern celestial hemispheres. It is essentially an extension of the Earth's equator out into space. This line is used as a reference point for measuring the declination (celestial latitude) of celestial objects.

The horizon, on the other hand, is the line where the sky appears to meet the ground or sea. It is the visible boundary between the Earth and the sky. The horizon is used as a reference point for measuring the azimuth (celestial longitude) of celestial objects.

In summary, the ecliptic is the path of the sun, the celestial equator is a reference line for declination, and the horizon is a reference line for azimuth. They are all important concepts in astronomy and are used to locate and track celestial objects in the sky. I hope this helps clarify the differences between these three concepts for you.

1. What is the ecliptic?

The ecliptic is the apparent path that the sun appears to take across the celestial sphere over the course of a year. It is tilted at an angle of 23.5 degrees to the celestial equator and marks the plane of Earth's orbit around the sun.

2. What is the celestial equator?

The celestial equator is an imaginary line that divides the celestial sphere into northern and southern hemispheres. It is located directly above Earth's equator and is used as a reference point for measuring the declination, or angular distance, of celestial objects from Earth's equator.

3. How does the ecliptic relate to the celestial equator?

The ecliptic and celestial equator intersect at two points, known as the equinoxes. These are the Vernal Equinox in March and the Autumnal Equinox in September. The ecliptic also follows a similar path to the celestial equator, but is tilted at an angle of 23.5 degrees to it.

4. What is the significance of the horizon in relation to the ecliptic and celestial equator?

The horizon is the boundary between the visible sky and the earth. It is important in relation to the ecliptic and celestial equator because these imaginary lines can help determine the position of celestial objects in the sky. For example, the sun's position along the ecliptic can help determine the time of day, while the celestial equator can help determine the declination of stars and planets.

5. How do the ecliptic, celestial equator, and horizon affect stargazing?

The positions of the ecliptic, celestial equator, and horizon are important for stargazing because they provide a reference for locating and tracking celestial objects. By understanding their relationship, astronomers can accurately predict when and where certain objects will rise and set in the sky. Additionally, the ecliptic, celestial equator, and horizon can also help determine the best viewing times and locations for stargazing based on the positions of celestial objects.