Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Editing period for this forum has been shortened?

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    "Editing period" for this forum has been shortened?

Recently, I've realized that the "editing period" (i.e. the time taken before the "edit" button dissappears) of a post in this forum has been greatly shortened. Why? I find this to be very inconvenient because I cannot correct my typos. Very oftenly, after a few hours when I look at my post again, I realize a typo and would like to edit it, but I can't do that now...why? I suggest to make the "editing period" to be at least 6 hours.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We have shortened the editing period to assist in certain areas where long edit times created problems.

I suggest that if you are afraid of typos, that you proof read your post after submitting. If you have a real dire need to edit a post that would completely change the meaning and a subsequent post with correcting notes won't suffice, please PM a mentor with the corrections needed.

4. Apr 10, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If a typo changes the context (such as in a math equation), we can assist. Otherwise, we're not typing nazis...we won't give you a hard time over a typo.

5. Apr 11, 2008 #4

~christina~

Gold Member

I just noticed this as well. I left a post in the edditing window mode for awhile and was thinking about what I was posting (and went and ate dinner) b/c I was looking up something in my book and when I tried to add something to the original post it told me something like "the editing time was set to 30min".

I assume that this is standard for all places in the forum, right?

6. Apr 11, 2008 #5

Evo

Yes, it is now. If you need to edit something past the time frame, you can copy and paste and edit a new post, just say that the edit replaces the original, or ask a mentor to edit the original.

7. Apr 13, 2008 #6

~christina~

Gold Member

okey dokey :smile:

8. Jun 2, 2008 #7

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The stupid mistakes in my posts are explained by the shortness of the editing period.
    I am snowblinded by their brilliance, and it takes a 36h period to adapt and notice these minuscule imperfections.
    However I understand the reason for the short editing period is that some posters need an answer inside 30 min. and if they don't get that they never come back.
    But evo's suggestion is a most practical one.
    Especially as no one comes back on most of my posts anyway so that should give me time to perfect them. :biggrin:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  9. Jun 2, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It wasn't so much that some posters needed quick answers and more that some posters once they got an answer retrospectively edited their posts and turned the thread into nonsense. The odd spelling and grammar mistake we can all forgive.

10. Jun 2, 2008 #9

Astronuc

For detailed or lengthy posts, please use a text editor to compose the post.

One can post it, then Preview it, for appearance. If satisfactory, one can submit it, otherwise it can then be deleted and the text edited.

11. Jun 2, 2008 #10
    If you are on firefox, you can download an online dictionary that corrects any errors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?