Educational paper and video, Bertozzi, "The Ultimate Speed"

In summary: I thought others might be interested in an old educational paper and fim demonstrating that you can't accelerate material objects past c.Bertozzi, Speed and kinetic energy of relativistic electrons, Am. J. Phys. 32 (1964) 551The Ultimate Speed - An Exploration with High Energy Electrons - In summary, this paper demonstrates that you can't accelerate material objects past c. The film is pretty dry, but the teaching material is excellent.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I thought others might be interested in an old educational paper and fim demonstrating that you can't accelerate material objects past c.

Bertozzi, Speed and kinetic energy of relativistic electrons, Am. J. Phys. 32 (1964) 551

The Ultimate Speed - An Exploration with High Energy Electrons -

Abstract: Using a Van de Graaff electrostatic generator and a linear accelerator, the speeds of electrons with kinetic energies in the range 0.5-15 MeV are determined by measuring the time required for the electrons to traverse a given distance. The measurements show the existence of a limiting speed in accord with the results of special relativity. The kinetic energy, determined by calorimetry, verifies that an electric field exerts a force on a moving electron in its direction of motion that is independent of its speed.

The film is honestly pretty dull -- it doesn't have the sense of humor that I associate with the old PSSC films from that period. It is nice, however, as a way of showing people very concretely what happens when you try to accelerate a material object past c. It makes it clear that this isn't just a matter of speculation. You can see all the hardware, cables, etc.

The paper is easy to find online, although possibly illegally if your country's copyright laws are as repressive as mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ben, that's very cool indeed. I had never seen anything like that. A bit dry, as you say, but an excellent demonstration. Thanks for posting.

Nice use of a mechanical analog computer.

Brought back memories of old oscilloscopes with hoods, slide rules and hand drawn graphs. Thanks.

Very nice; every time I thought, "But wait, what about..." (e.g., the timing paths to the scope) he was on it in the next moment (equal length cables - that he verified!).

And white socks, no lab coat... :)

nsaspook said:
Nice use of a mechanical analog computer.
I have a stash of some 30 slide rules. Kids miss out on a lot of insight by not learning slide rule. :)

bcrowell said:
I thought others might be interested in an old educational paper and fim demonstrating that you can't accelerate material objects past c.

Bertozzi, Speed and kinetic energy of relativistic electrons, Am. J. Phys. 32 (1964) 551

The Ultimate Speed - An Exploration with High Energy Electrons -

[..]

That's nice, I did not know that there's a movie related to the paper - and now on Youtube. :)

I now watched the movie and I find it more instructive than the paper because the relevance of the energy measurement is better explained and even elaborated. This is very good teaching material.

1. What is the main focus of Bertozzi's educational paper and video, "The Ultimate Speed"?

The main focus of Bertozzi's educational paper and video is to explore the concept of speed and how it relates to everyday life and scientific principles. Specifically, the paper and video examine the different factors that influence speed and how it can be measured and improved.

2. How does "The Ultimate Speed" relate to education?

"The Ultimate Speed" is designed to be an educational resource for students and educators alike. It presents complex scientific concepts in an engaging and easy-to-understand format, making it a valuable tool for teaching and learning about speed and related topics.

3. What makes "The Ultimate Speed" different from other educational materials?

One of the key differences of "The Ultimate Speed" is its focus on real-life applications and examples. It not only explains the scientific concepts behind speed, but also shows how they are relevant and important in our daily lives. Additionally, the use of visual aids and interactive elements makes it a more engaging and effective learning tool.

4. Who is the target audience for "The Ultimate Speed"?

The target audience for "The Ultimate Speed" is broad and includes students and educators from various backgrounds and levels of education. It can be used in middle school, high school, and college settings, and is also suitable for independent learning for anyone interested in the topic of speed.

5. How can "The Ultimate Speed" be used in a classroom setting?

"The Ultimate Speed" can be used in a classroom setting in a variety of ways. It can serve as a supplement to traditional lectures, as a group activity or discussion prompt, or as a self-study resource. It also includes lesson plans and activities for teachers to incorporate into their curriculum.