1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE Research Topics? (Undegraduate)

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    EE Research Topics??? (Undegraduate)

Hello all!

I've just recently applied for undergraduate student research award, and if I do end up winning I will have to discuss with one or several professors my interests and the possibilities of them having a spot for me within one of their labs.

The problem is that I'm still just a 2nd/3rd year EE student and I'm not entirely sure what my area of interest is specifically.

I keep getting asked the same question over and over by my proffesors, what my "interests" are. I have a tough time answering their question because I haven't had the opportunity to really explore any of the fields in which I could/would be conducting research.

Could someone toss out a few of the major areas of study for EE's and perhaps a brief description?

Also, any specific ideas for a research topic would also be greatly appreciated.

Any advice/comments/suggestions that could potentially clear things up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I had just done a quick google at my uni's website and managed the find the areas of research in which the department currently participates: applied electromagnetics; atmospheric optics; biomedical engineering; biophotonics; communications engineering; computer architecture and software systems; microelectronics; power apparatus and systems; signal processing; systems engineering and telecommunications.

Does anyone have any experiences working/doing research in any of these fields they would like to share?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2
    Re: EE Research Topics??? (Undegraduate)

Bump, I'd love to hear from some of the EE's I know we have on this forum ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook