Astronomy Physics Extended Essay

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is starting on their Extended Essay (EE) project, which involves a 4000-word research paper on a chosen topic. The student is interested in astronomy and is seeking help in coming up with a suitable question and sources for their project. They also mention having a supervisor but express uncertainty about their choice of topic.
AlexandreLafon2
Hi,
I was told today that I will be starting my EE (an EE stands for Extended Essay, where we have to write 4000 words research paper where you analyse data, do experiments etc... for a particular topic of your choice)

One of my main areas of interest in physics is astronomy and I would like to base my EE on an astronomy based question. I am open to make it on any kind of astronomy question but right now I have no idea what kind of questions I should write, or what sources I should use.

If you could help me with some questions and sources I would really appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help us if we knew what level of school this is for. As a wild guess, is this for the International Baccalaureate (high-school level)? If so, according to Wikipedia,
The supervisor provides the student with assistance in putting together their EE, including guiding them in finding a suitable research question and on how to acquire the necessary resources to complete the research
Do you have a supervisor yet?

jtbell said:
It would help us if we knew what level of school this is for. As a wild guess, is this for the International Baccalaureate (high-school level)? If so, according to Wikipedia,

Do you have a supervisor yet?
I do have a supervisor yes, but I am confused about what kind of question I should be asking and also if astronomy is a good choice for my EE

1. What is the purpose of an Astronomy Physics Extended Essay?

The purpose of an Astronomy Physics Extended Essay is to investigate a specific topic in the field of astronomy and physics in depth. It allows students to apply their knowledge and skills to a real-world problem or question, and to develop critical thinking and research skills.

2. How do I choose a topic for an Astronomy Physics Extended Essay?

Choosing a topic for an Astronomy Physics Extended Essay can be challenging, but it is important to select a topic that you are genuinely interested in and have some background knowledge about. It should also be a topic that is feasible to research and has enough available resources and data.

3. What are some examples of possible topics for an Astronomy Physics Extended Essay?

Some examples of possible topics for an Astronomy Physics Extended Essay include: the formation and evolution of galaxies, the search for extraterrestrial life, the physics of black holes, the effects of space radiation on astronauts, and the study of dark matter and dark energy.

4. What is the structure of an Astronomy Physics Extended Essay?

An Astronomy Physics Extended Essay typically follows the same structure as a regular essay, with an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. It should also include a clear research question, a review of relevant literature, a methodology, data analysis, and a discussion of findings and conclusions.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful Astronomy Physics Extended Essay?

Some tips for writing a successful Astronomy Physics Extended Essay include: starting early and managing your time effectively, choosing a topic that you are passionate about, conducting thorough research and using reputable sources, organizing your essay in a clear and logical manner, and seeking feedback from your supervisor or peers.