Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Effect of Temperature on Frequency

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sound travels slower in the cold air than warm air. If you place your sound system outside on a cold winter night and listen to your favourite music, will the frequency of the sound change (pitch change)?

2. Relevant equations

f x (lambda)= v

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically from what I can observe from the formula, either one can be constants, but I don't know which. However when I look at this formula f = v/(lambda), frequency seems to have a constant relationship with velocity. Does that mean that when the speed decreases, the frequency should too?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2010 #2
    think density of air. which (speed, frequency or wavelength) changes when the density of the medium changes?

4. Aug 7, 2010 #3
    I'm confused. When the density of the medium changes, doesn't the speed and wavelength change, hence a change in frequency hence f = v/(lambda)?

5. Aug 7, 2010 #4
    this is flawed logic. look at the equation. what will happen to the frequency when speed and wavelength both increase by half, for instance?

hint: one of the three, speed, wavelength and frequency, remains constant.

what do you think is the source of a particular frequency of sound?

6. Aug 7, 2010 #5
    Ah of course, the frequency remains constant.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook