1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of Temperature on Frequency

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Sound travels slower in the cold air than warm air. If you place your sound system outside on a cold winter night and listen to your favourite music, will the frequency of the sound change (pitch change)?

2. Relevant equations

f x (lambda)= v

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically from what I can observe from the formula, either one can be constants, but I don't know which. However when I look at this formula f = v/(lambda), frequency seems to have a constant relationship with velocity. Does that mean that when the speed decreases, the frequency should too?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2010 #2
    think density of air. which (speed, frequency or wavelength) changes when the density of the medium changes?
  4. Aug 7, 2010 #3
    I'm confused. When the density of the medium changes, doesn't the speed and wavelength change, hence a change in frequency hence f = v/(lambda)?
  5. Aug 7, 2010 #4
    this is flawed logic. look at the equation. what will happen to the frequency when speed and wavelength both increase by half, for instance?

hint: one of the three, speed, wavelength and frequency, remains constant.

what do you think is the source of a particular frequency of sound?
  6. Aug 7, 2010 #5
    Ah of course, the frequency remains constant.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook