Effect of y² and 1/y on oblique asymptotes

  • Thread starter Thread starter qazxsw11111
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
qazxsw11111
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone. If I have a y= graph and I do a transformation of either 1/y or y², the oblique asymptotes will disappear as they are no longer 'oblique'. Is that correct.

A simple yes or no would suffice.

Enjoy your day.
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't unterstand the question. I suppose what you mean with an 'y=' graph is a graph of of y = f(x). What is a transformation of 1/y ?
 
Effect of a oblique asymptote on the y=f(x) graph tranformed into 1/f(x) graph and y² graph. I assume the oblique asymptotes will be gone. Will someone confirm?
 
to get an oblique asymptote on the right, you must have [tex]\lim_{x->+\infty} \frac {f(x)} {x} = C[/tex] for some constant C>0.

Is this still possible if you replace f(x) with 1/f(x) or [itex]\sqrt{f(x)}[/itex] ?