1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting equation from graph of a rational function with an oblique asymptote.

1. Nov 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    -I have the zero, which is x=-1, however its a squared zero {(x+1)^2)}
    -Vertical asymptote is at x=1
    -Equation of oblique asymptote is y=x+4

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding the numerator by multiplying the oblique asymptote by the vertical asymptote, but the equation becomes a degree 4 on top and degree 1 on bottom.

Anyone know how to start me off? Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

???
    For there to be an oblique asymptote, the degree of the numerator must be 1 more than the degree of the denominator.
    From your problem statement,
    a zero of multiplicity 2 at x = -1 means that the numerator has to have a factor of (x + 1)2.

For a vertical asymptote at x = 1, there has to be a factor of (x - 1) in the denominator.

For an oblique asymptote of y = x + 4, after doing polynomial long division, the result must be x + 4 + C/(x -1).

4. Nov 5, 2011 #3
    So to find C, I have to sub in a point, lets say the y-intercept? What I don't understand is where does the zero at x = -1 of multiplicity 2 go? Thanks for the reply btw

5. Nov 5, 2011 #4
    I got the eqn. (x^2 + 2x+ 1)/(x-1), all the points work out however when I divide them I don't get the oblique asymptote y=x+4, is this ok?

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the y-intercept?

When you say you have a zero of multiplicity 2 (in the denominator, I presume), is that because the graph goes to +∞ on both sides of the vertical asymptote (or -∞ on both sides)?

I suggest that the rational function can be written as [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=x+4+\frac{C}{(x+1)^2}\,.[/itex]

7. Nov 6, 2011 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, it's not OK because you don't have the right oblique asymptote.

You want to find polynomials p(x) and q(x) so that p(x)/q(x) = x + 4 + C/q(x).

p(x) will have a factor of (x + 1)2 and q(x) will have a factor of (x -1), but each of these will have other factors.

8. Nov 6, 2011 #7
    i have the similar givens to as well y-int is -1 x-int is -1 oblique asymptote at y=x+4
    vertical asymptote x=1

9. Nov 6, 2011 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

madeincanada, welcome to PF.

You should really start your own thread for this.

How would you approach this problem after reading the above posts?

10. Nov 6, 2011 #9
    well the my problem was similar to the topic starters.
    well i would use the equation above, and sub in y intercept to solve for c, and multiply the equation x-1 to find the quadratic equation.

11. Nov 6, 2011 #10
    so i got c = 5 y=x+4+[5/(X-1)] (x-1)
    (x^2+3x+1)/(x-1) except i don't get all the correct givens.

12. Nov 7, 2011 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you need c = 6 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook