Limits question and finding oblique asymptote

In summary, to find the oblique asymptote of the graph of f(x) for x→∞, you need to use polynomial long division to simplify the rational expression inside the radical. This will result in a simplified expression of the form x2(1 + <other stuff>). From there, you can determine the asymptote by looking at the coefficient of x. The limit that needs to be computed to prove the guess is correct is lim x→∞ \sqrt{(x^{4}+1)/(x^{2}-1)}.
dustinm
Question: Guess the oblique asymptote of the graph f(x) for x→∞. Write down the limit you have to compute to prove that your guess is correct.

f(x)= [itex]\sqrt{(x^{4}+1)/(x^{2}-1)}[/itex]
so the limit would be: lim x→∞ [itex]\sqrt{(x^{4}+1)/(x^{2}-1)}[/itex]

I sketched out a graph but I just have no clue how to compute for the oblique asymptote. The professor explained that you have to use the polynomials in long division but I don't fully understand how to yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
dustinm said:
Question: Guess the oblique asymptote of the graph f(x) for x→∞. Write down the limit you have to compute to prove that your guess is correct.

f(x)= [itex]\sqrt{(x^{4}+1)/(x^{2}-1)}[/itex]
so the limit would be: lim x→∞ [itex]\sqrt{(x^{4}+1)/(x^{2}-1)}[/itex]

I sketched out a graph but I just have no clue how to compute for the oblique asymptote. The professor explained that you have to use the polynomials in long division but I don't fully understand how to yet.

An oblique asymptote is a straight line y = ax + b that the graph of the function approaches for large x or very negative x.

Use polynomial long division to carry out the division of the rational expression inside the radical. You should get x2 + some other terms. Then, factor out x2 from each term inside the radical so that you have x2(1 + <other stuff>). At this point you can simplify the radical somewhat.

I'm sure there's a topic on wikipedia for polynomial long division. Open wikipedia and do a search using "polynomial long division" if you don't understand this process.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in mathematics that refers to the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can either use algebraic techniques such as factoring and simplifying, or you can use graphical methods such as looking at the behavior of the function near the point in question. In some cases, you may need to use more advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's rule to find the limit.

3. What is an oblique asymptote?

An oblique asymptote is a type of asymptote that is not horizontal or vertical, but rather slanted. It occurs when the degree of the numerator of a rational function is one greater than the degree of the denominator. The oblique asymptote is the line that the function approaches as the input approaches positive or negative infinity.

4. How do you find the oblique asymptote of a rational function?

To find the oblique asymptote of a rational function, you need to first check the degrees of the numerator and denominator. If the degree of the numerator is one greater than the degree of the denominator, then the oblique asymptote is given by the linear function formed by dividing the leading coefficients of the two polynomials. You can also use long division to find the oblique asymptote.

5. Are there any special cases for finding oblique asymptotes?

Yes, there are a few special cases for finding oblique asymptotes. For example, if the degrees of the numerator and denominator are equal, the oblique asymptote does not exist. If the degree of the denominator is greater than the degree of the numerator, then the horizontal asymptote is the oblique asymptote. Additionally, if there are any discontinuities or holes in the graph of the function, the oblique asymptote may not exist or may be different from the expected linear function.