Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effective Strain of Frictionless Punch on Deep Plate

1. Nov 4, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to figure out the effective strain of a frictionless punch on a deep plate. For simplicity's sake let's say it's in plane strain. Don't quite know where to start. Closest thing I can think of is the strain from a bulge test, but that involves a thin sheet. Looked at some indentor (Vickers, Brinell etc.) strains also, but these might not be applicable, since the indenter does not travel that far into the workpiece. I also looked at some of the literature concerning ballistics but they don't really report strain or how they calculated it. I feel like there's something very simple that I'm missing here.

I'd be grateful if someone could put me on the right path.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2015 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shear stress .

4. Nov 4, 2015 #3
    I thought about doing σ = Ymε, but I don't have a value for Y!

[Edit] I suppose I could look it up, however

5. Nov 4, 2015 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Nov 4, 2015 #5
    Well no matter how I calculate the stress, I still need some sort of stress-strain relationship. Any method I can think of to find strain otherwise has to include reduction of length, area, etc. I could indeed calculate the new area created by the cavity but if my object is semifinite I wouldn't know the initial area.

7. Nov 4, 2015 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Draw me a diagram so that I can understand what your actual problem is .

8. Nov 4, 2015 #7
    Here you go

Attached Files:

9. Nov 4, 2015 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you are actually looking at a plastic flow problem . There are various theory's regarding plastic flow in metals . Modelling real situations analytically is difficult and FE methods often have to be used . A not very accurate but sometimes useful approximate solution just assumes that all metal in zone around active end of punch is at yield stress .

Not the best of explanations but it's somewhere to start :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_plasticity_theory

10. Nov 4, 2015 #9
    My inclination was to find P/2k from a hodograph and then use that pressure to solve for strain using th the formula I posted above. However I wasn't sure whether there was a commonly used formula or something based on the individual strains.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook