Effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
vprantan
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi

I've been trying to find effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze, especially of that used in self-oiled sliding bearings (like Oilite). I need it to know how much less it is compared to dense copper alloys, eg. tin bronze.

So far my search has proven fruitless. It seems that sintered bronze manufacturers do not measure thermal conductivity at all, whereas for dense material it is normally stated.

Any help here?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
The TPPC data series is quite comprehensive for thermal property data on common alloys. I'm not sure if it's been kept up to date. Purdue used to publish it, Touloukian was the editor if I recall.
 
The problem with what you are asking is there is to many variables in the material to give you a definite answer. The thermal conductivity will be proportional to the density of the material. The general sintered bronze material has a range of density from 6.0-7.4 g/cc the theoretical density for 90/10 bronze is 8.75g/cc. This mean that when not impregnated with oil the thermal conductivity will be in an exponential approaching the full density value based on density. Next because of the oil in the pores will conduct heat also this will need to be taken into account and the variables in the effective filling of the pores as well as the oil that is used. If you are looking for ballpark numbers I would put it at 80-85% the thermal conductivity of the wrought bronze material as standard oillite is an SAE841 (6.4-6.8 g/cc). I will look to see if there is any graphs that might have been developed in years past.