Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effects of dark energy on our solar system

1. distance bet earth and sun

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. gravity of earth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    Is there any effect of expansion of world on our solar system?
    i.e. Is there any change in distance between earth and sun due to expansion of world?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

No, our solar system is a gravitationally bound system.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

AND ... is far as is currently understood, so is our solar system and so is the local group. That means that NONE of those things will be affected by dark energy (well, actually, I think they ARE affected by the amount is simply trivial and is completely swamped by gravity.)

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4
    ok...but the distance between moon and earth is increasing..what is the reason behind that?

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Something to do with tidal force. I don't remember the details but it has NOTHING to do with dark energy.

7. Oct 11, 2011 #6

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

The distance of the Earth and Moon is increasing because as the Moon slows down the Earth's spin it gains energy boosting it to a higher orbit. This has the effect of slowing down our day and increasing the distance to the moon.

8. Oct 12, 2011 #7

BillSaltLake

Gold Member

I'm semi-guessing here, but I think the effect on orbiting (bound) systems would be to increase the orbit radius R by ΔR/R ~ [time for 1 radian of orbit]xH. For the Earth-Moon, this would be ~ 1 part in a trillion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook