Exploring the Physics of an Egg - A Research Paper

In summary, an egg is a sphere with a mechanical protection shell. It can be boiled or frozen. There is probably more physics in an egg beyond the mechanical protection angle. Tim provided some great ideas for further research on eggs.
anjanp
I have been confronted with a strange and vague, but oddly interesting assignment of creating a research paper on an egg through the perspective of a physics. Does anyone have any ideas as to what i can research online or in a book over the PHYSICS of an egg?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Moved from Advanced Physics to Introductory Physics.

anjanp, welcome to the Physics and Math Forums (PF). From my perspective, there is way more biology and chemistry than physics in an egg. The only physics aspect would seem to be the mechanical protection that the outer shell provides for the inner contents. For that, I would just research the mechanical aspects of spheres and elliptical shells. I'm not sure where to point you for that, however. Do you think there might be some physics aspect of eggs beyond this mechanical protection angle?

how sophisticated do you want to be? well, if it is for an introductory physics class, maybe I can help you.

suggestions:
1. moment of inertia of raw egg and boiled egg.. you can conduct an experiment yourself.

2. the structure and the shape of the egg. How much stress can the egg sustain when some forces are applied on different parts of the egg.

3. the center of mass of the egg... kind of stupid, but just an idea.

4. density of the egg. raw egg vs. boiled egg. Does it float in water, sink in water...etc. conduct an experiment measuring the density of eggs using water and salt (if the egg sinks). if the egg floats... then, use oil and soap (that would be messy, hehehe) or just mass the egg and measure the volume (the most usual way).

5. how much heat energy it takes to cook an egg.

6. can egg be frozen?

that's all I can think of right now...

Last edited:
Nice! Very creative, Tim. Hey, does the bouyancy of the egg really change after boiling? (You can tell how often I boil eggs.)

Last edited:
7. conductivity of egg shells.

8. internal friction of a rotating raw egg and the viscosity of egg yolk

9. specific heat of egg shells, egg yolk, and heat capacity of these materials.

10. thermal conductivity (is that the right word) of eggs or different parts of an egg.

11. stable equilibrium and different orientations of eggs. the possible orientation the egg can have when it is put on the ground.

13. aerodynamic property of eggs

hopefully that's enough... but if you want more...

How much thermal expansion occurs when boiling an egg and how much thermal expansion is needed to break the egg =).

The terminal velocity of an egg.

At what speed air needs to move to give an egg lift :).

i think all of those ideas are great, i already explored the shape of the egg but i think ill look into the thermal conductivity, stable equilibrium, and aerodynamic properties, thanks a lot for all of your help guys.

1. What is the purpose of conducting research on the physics of an egg?

The purpose of this research is to gain a better understanding of the physical properties of an egg and how they contribute to its unique structure and function. This knowledge can have various applications, such as in the food industry or in the development of new materials.

2. What are the main components of an egg and how do they interact?

An egg is composed of three main components: the shell, the white (albumen), and the yolk. The shell provides protection and is made up of calcium carbonate crystals. The white is mostly water and protein, and it acts as a cushion for the yolk. The yolk contains fats, proteins, and other nutrients for the developing embryo. These components interact to give the egg its unique physical properties.

3. How does the structure of an egg contribute to its strength?

The egg has a curved shape, which helps distribute external forces evenly and prevents any one point from bearing too much stress. The shell is also highly arched, which increases its strength and resistance to external pressure. Additionally, the membrane between the white and yolk acts as a shock absorber, further protecting the yolk from damage.

4. What factors affect the strength of an egg?

The strength of an egg can be affected by various factors, such as the thickness and curvature of the shell, the amount and distribution of calcium carbonate crystals, and the quality and freshness of the egg. Temperature can also play a role, as extreme heat or cold can weaken the egg's structure.

5. How can the principles of egg physics be applied in other areas of science?

The principles of egg physics can be applied in various areas, such as in the design of protective gear or packaging materials. Understanding the unique properties of an egg can also provide insights into the behavior of other biological structures and materials, leading to potential advancements in fields such as medicine and engineering.