Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigen function, eigen value, eigen vector

1. Sep 5, 2008 #1
    source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenvalue

what are directional losses?
    what are its consequences?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Roughly speaking, a vector is just an ordered row of numbers, where you can use an index i to indicate what column a number is in.

That's pretty much what a continuous function f(x) is also, except that you now use a continuous index x to indicate what "column" a number is in.

So you can treat a continuous function like a vector (ie. you can add it, take scalar products etc.). We think of vectors as things having direction. Since functions can be thought of like vectors, we can use that analogy to think that functions also have some sort of "direction". This is just an analogy, which is why the author of the article you quoted said "the concept of direction loses its ordinary meaning". There aren't really any consequences, because actually the analogy works in great detail and can be usefully exploited.

I would actually say it differently: A normal vector gives us the direction in "real" space. Thinking of the function as a vector gives us a sense of direction in "function" space.

There are some differences between finite and infinite dimensional "vector" spaces, but the above is a quick and dirty way to think about it.:devil:

4. Sep 5, 2008 #3
    yeah i get it.

thank you so much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?