Eigenkets of the creation operator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the eigenkets for the creation operator a^\dagger and its corresponding eigenvalues, as well as the overlap of these eigenkets with the vacuum state. It is determined that if the eigenvalue is non-zero, the eigenstate must be zero, indicating that there are no eigenstates of a^\dagger with non-zero eigenvalues.
Swatch

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the eigenkets for the creation operator ,[tex]a^{\dagger}[/tex] if they exist

Homework Equations

[tex]a^{\dagger}|\Psi>=\lambda|\Psi>[/tex]
[tex]a^{\dagger}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2*\hbar*m*\omega}}*(-\hbar*\frac{d}{dx}+m*\omega*x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the expression for the creation operator above and set up the differential equation.
The boundary conditions for the wavefunction should be that it is zero when x goes to +- infinity.
When I solve it I get this result.
[tex]0=\lambda*x\right|_{-\infty}^{+\infty} - \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{m*\omega}{2*\hbar}}*x^{2} \right|_{-\infty}^{+\infty}[/tex]

I know the creation operator is not hermitian and it is not an observable but could this answer be correct?
Could someone please comment on this

Physics news on Phys.org
Swatch said:

Homework Statement

The problem is to find the eigenkets for the creation operator ,[tex]a^{\dagger}[/tex] if they exist

Homework Equations

[tex]a^{\dagger}|\Psi>=\lambda|\Psi>[/tex]
[tex]a^{\dagger}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2*\hbar*m*\omega}}*(-\hbar*\frac{d}{dx}+m*\omega*x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I use the expression for the creation operator above and set up the differential equation.
The boundary conditions for the wavefunction should be that it is zero when x goes to +- infinity.
When I solve it I get this result.
[tex]0=\lambda*x\right|_{-\infty}^{+\infty} - \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{m*\omega}{2*\hbar}}*x^{2} \right|_{-\infty}^{+\infty}[/tex]

I know the creation operator is not hermitian and it is not an observable but could this answer be correct?
Could someone please comment on this

If eigenkets of [itex]a^\dagger[/itex] exist. What is their overlap with the vacuum?

What is their overlap with vaccum?
I don't understand!

By "vacuum" I just mean the state [itex]|0\rangle[/itex] that satisfies
[tex]
a|0\rangle=0
[/tex]

By "overlap with the vacuum" I mean, what is
[tex]
\langle 0 |\lambda\rangle
[/tex]
equal to?

...where [itex]|\lambda\rangle[/itex] is the eigenket of [itex]a^\dagger[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex]

The overlap with the vacuum is zero
but how does this help me?:confused:

Swatch said:
The overlap with the vacuum is zero
but how does this help me?:confused:

So, the overlap with the vacuum is zero. Good.

Now, what is the overlap with the "one-particle" state
[tex]
|1\rangle = a^\dagger |0\rangle\;
[/tex]
?

I believe the overlap of [tex]|\lambda>[/tex] with the one particle state to be zero

Swatch said:
I believe the overlap of [tex]|\lambda>[/tex] with the one particle state to be zero

So, given that, what's the overlap of [tex]|\lambda>[/tex] with the 2-particle state |2>? I hope you realize what the nth question is going to be.

I think I understand this.
since the overlap of [tex]\lambda[/tex] and the vacuum is zero and also the overlap with the one, two and so one particle functions is zero, [tex]\lambda[/tex] must be zero.
Am I right?

Swatch said:
I think I understand this.
since the overlap of [tex]\lambda[/tex] and the vacuum is zero and also the overlap with the one, two and so one particle functions is zero, [tex]\lambda[/tex] must be zero.
Am I right?

The notation you are using above confuses the state with it's eigenvalue.

What we have just seen is that if the *eigenvalue* [itex]\lambda[/itex] is non-zero then the *state* [itex]|\lambda>[/itex] must be zero--i.e., there are no eigenstate of [itex]a^\dagger[/itex] with non-zero eigenvalues.

Thank you all for your help:smile:

1. What is the creation operator in quantum mechanics?

The creation operator, denoted as a+, is a mathematical operator that acts on a quantum state or eigenket to create a new state with one additional quantum of energy. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in the creation and annihilation of particles.

2. What are eigenkets of the creation operator?

Eigenkets of the creation operator are the states that are acted upon by the creation operator to create new states with one additional quantum of energy. These states are also known as excited states and can represent the presence of a particle in a certain energy level.

3. How are eigenkets of the creation operator related to the energy of a system?

The eigenkets of the creation operator are directly related to the energy of a system. Each eigenket corresponds to a specific energy level, with the ground state being the lowest energy level and the excited states having higher energies. The creation operator adds energy to the system, resulting in a transition to a higher energy level.

4. Can the creation operator be applied to any quantum state?

No, the creation operator can only be applied to certain quantum states that have discrete energy levels, such as those found in atoms and molecules. This is because the creation operator is only defined for systems with discrete, quantized energies.

5. What is the physical significance of eigenkets of the creation operator?

The eigenkets of the creation operator represent the presence of a particle in a specific energy level. This has important physical implications, as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in quantum systems. Additionally, the creation operator is used in various quantum mechanical calculations, making the eigenkets of the creation operator crucial in understanding and describing quantum systems.