Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenstate and real space representation

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    Hi All,

I was going through a paper on quantum simulations. Below is an extract from the paper; I would be obliged if any one can help me to understand it:

We will use eigenstate representation for transverse direction(HT) and real space for longitudinal direction(HL) Hamiltonians.

HL= h^2/2m * d^2/dx^2 + U (makes sense because x is longitudinal direction)

HT= h^2/2m *( d^2/dy^2 + d^2/dz^2) + Uy.z (writing in terms of y,z isn't a real space representation again? This was meant to be eigenstate representaion)

then,

Xk(ρ) = exp(i.k.ρ)/area
    where HT.Xk = εk.Xk

k and ρ are both 2D vectors.

Now, k is wave vector, Xk(ρ) is function of ρ, what is ρ? What does it physically corresponds to?

Using finite difference approximation for HL:

HLψ= -tψn-1 +2t+Un.ψn +....

here I can interpret ψ is function of n, which is discretized real space. However I am not able to figure out what is ρ?

Thanks,
    Arya

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I was able to find the article by Googling. Posting a reference would have been helpful. It seems to be written by someone that has little experience in quantum mechanical numerical simulations and uses a very non-standard notation.

The Hamiltonian doesn't change because of the representation, the wave function (or rather, its representation) does. The wave function is sampled on a series of grid points ##x_n## along with a finite basis of eigenfunctions ##\chi_\mathbf{k}(y,z)##.

You truncated the quotation: "both 2D vectors in the y–z plane." I take it that ##\rho = (y,z)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook