Eigenstates in a 3-state spin 1 system

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the eigenstates of a 3-state spin-1 system with angular momentum l=1. The question provides the 3 eigenstates of L3 and asks for the matrix representation of operators L1, L2, and L3 in this subspace. The conversation explains how to use the knowledge of how operators like L3 work on the basis states to build the matrix and find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. It also mentions the use of operators L+ and L- to calculate L1 and L2. The conversation concludes with the understanding of how to obtain the eigenvalues and eigenvectors from the L3 matrix.
dyn
I have been looking at the solution to a question and I don't understand how the eigenstates are calculated. The question concerns a 3-state spin-1-system with angular momentum l=1. The 3 eigenstates of L3 are given as ## \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} ## , ## \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} ## , ## \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} ## which leads to the z-component of angular momentum as L3 = ## \hbar ## ## \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} ##. When I try to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the L3 matrix using determinants I get no answer. Can anybody tell me how to get the eigenvalues and eigenvectors ? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post the original question? It will help to know what is the assumed starting point.

The original question is - A quantum particle is known to have total angular momentum one ie. l = 1. Use the eigenstates of L2 and L3 , denoted by | l , m > = | 1 , m > as a basis and find the matrix representation of operators L1 , L2 and L2 in this 3-D subspace. Use | 1 , 1> = ## \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} ## = | 1 > , | 1 , 0 > = ## \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} ## = | 2 > , | 1 , -1 > = ## \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} ## as our basis. You may find it useful to compute the matrix representation of operators L+ , L- and L3 .

Ok, so the idea is to use your knowledge of how operators like ##L_3## work on the basis states to build the matrix. For instance, you (should) know that
$$
L_3 | 1, -1 \rangle = -\hbar | 1, -1 \rangle
$$
so you build the matrix accordingly. Since you are using the eigenstates of ##L_3## to build the matrix, you know that the resulting matrix is diagonal, with the eigenvalues as the diagonal elements. You do the same for ##L^2##. As for ##L_1## and ##L_2##, you will indeed find it useful to use the operators ##L_+## and ##L_-##.

The bit that I don't understand is that if I was given the L3 matrix I can't work out the eigenvalues and eigenvectors from it

I've got it now !

1. What is an eigenstate in a 3-state spin 1 system?

An eigenstate in a 3-state spin 1 system refers to a state in which the system's spin has a definite value. In other words, it is a state in which the system's spin is not changing over time. This is an important concept in quantum mechanics and is often used to describe the behavior of particles with spin.

2. How are eigenstates related to the spin of a particle?

Eigenstates are directly related to the spin of a particle. In a 3-state spin 1 system, there are three possible eigenstates, each corresponding to a specific value of spin. These eigenstates can be used to describe the behavior and properties of particles with spin 1.

3. What is the significance of eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates are significant in quantum mechanics because they represent the fundamental states of a system. They are used to describe the behavior and properties of particles in a quantum system, and their superposition (combination) leads to the formation of more complex states.

4. How are eigenstates measured in a 3-state spin 1 system?

Eigenstates in a 3-state spin 1 system can be measured through a process called spin projection. This involves using a magnetic field to measure the orientation of the particle's spin along a specific axis, and the result will correspond to one of the three eigenstates.

5. Can eigenstates in a 3-state spin 1 system change over time?

No, eigenstates in a 3-state spin 1 system do not change over time. They represent the fundamental states of a system, and any change in spin can only occur through a combination (superposition) of these eigenstates.