Representing Quantum Gates in Tensor Product Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Hadamard gate on a two-qubit system and how it can be written in the tensor product vector space. It also mentions the tensor product of two matrices and provides a resource for calculating it.
phun_physics
TL;DR Summary
I am confused on how to represent the computational (matrix) form of a quantum gate in the tensor product space. For example: how does the computational matrix look for a single qubit gate on in two qubit tensor product vector space?
Where do I start. I want to write the matrix form of a single or two qubit gate in the tensor product vector space of a many qubit system. Ill outline a simple example:

forum_pic.png

Both qubits, ##q_0## and ##q_1## start in the ground state, ##|0 \rangle =\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}##. Then we apply the Hadamard gate, ##\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ -1 & 1 \end{pmatrix}##, on the ##q_0##.
Here is my understanding:

The Hadamard gate on two qubit system only operates on ##q_0##
$$ \hat{H}_0(q_0 \otimes q_1) = \hat{H}_0q_0 \otimes q_1 $$
$$\hat{H}_0(|0 \rangle \otimes |0 \rangle) = \hat{H}_0|0\rangle \otimes |0\rangle$$
$$\hat{H}_0 (\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \otimes \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} )= \hat{H}_0 \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix} \otimes \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}$$
$$\hat{H}_0 \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\0 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} \otimes \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix})$$
$$\hat{H}_0 \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\0 \end{pmatrix} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}$$

I don't know exactly how to solve this but can give a guess.

$$\hat{H}_0 = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}$$

How is ##\hat{H}_0## written in the tensor product space? Are there any resources that explain this well? Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is the tensor product of two matrices, such that what you call ##\hat{H}_0## is actually ##\hat{H}_0 \otimes \hat{I}_1##, where ## \hat{I}_1## is the identity operator acting on ##q_1##. That product can easily be calculated, see https://mathworld.wolfram.com/KroneckerProduct.html

What is the significance of representing quantum gates in tensor product space?

Representing quantum gates in tensor product space allows us to mathematically describe the behavior of multiple qubits in a quantum system. This representation is essential for understanding and manipulating quantum states and performing quantum operations.

What is a tensor product and how is it used in quantum gates representation?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vector spaces to create a new, larger vector space. In quantum gates representation, tensor products are used to combine the individual states of multiple qubits into a single, composite state.

How do quantum gates act on qubits in tensor product space?

Quantum gates act on qubits in tensor product space by performing unitary operations on the combined state of the qubits. This allows for the manipulation of the quantum states and the execution of quantum algorithms.

What are some common quantum gates and how are they represented in tensor product space?

Some common quantum gates include the Pauli gates, Hadamard gate, and CNOT gate. These gates are represented in tensor product space using matrices that act on the combined state of the qubits.

What are the advantages of representing quantum gates in tensor product space?

Representing quantum gates in tensor product space allows for a compact and efficient way to describe the behavior of multiple qubits. It also enables the use of linear algebra techniques to analyze and manipulate quantum states and operations.