1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue and Eigenvector problem

1. May 8, 2006 #1
    Hi

Given a 3x3 matrix

[tex]A = \[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 0 & 1+2i \\ 0 & 5 & 0 \\ 1-2i & 0 & 4 \end{array} \right][/tex]

I need to a another 3x3 which satisfacies

D = U^-1 A U

Step 1.

Finding the eigenvalues

[tex]0 = det(A- \lambda I ) = (0- \lambda)(\lambda - 5) (\lambda -4 ), \lambda = 5,4,0[/tex]

step 2.

Finding the eigenvectors.

A vector which satisfies (A-\lambda I) v = 0

For \lambda = 5

p(\lambda = 5) = [tex] \[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} -5 & 0 & 1+2i \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 1-2i & 0 & -1 \end{array} \right][/tex] ~ [tex]\[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 0 & -1/5-2/5i \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]

How do I read the eigenvector from the reduced matrix ???

Sincerely Fred

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2
    Your eigenvalues are wrong. Find the characteristic equation by working it out completely, and you'll find eigenvalues of -1, 5, and 5.

4. May 8, 2006 #3
    Is 5 then a what is called a double root ?

/Fred

5. May 8, 2006 #4
    Kind of. The eigenvalue with the value of five is said to have a multiplicity of two.

6. May 8, 2006 #5
    I found the first eigenvector for lambda = -1 to be [1+2i, 0, -1]^T

To find for lambda = 5, do I row reduce the matrix A-5I ?

If I put that matrix into reduced echelon form, I get [0,0,0], but that can't be right?

/Fred

Last edited: May 8, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?