Eigenvalues and eigenkets of a two level system

In summary: Then type \begin{array}{cc}H &=& a(\left( \begin{array}{cc}1 & 0\\0 & 3\\ \end{array} \right)\end{array})\\ &=& a(\left( \begin{array}{cc}1 &-2\sqrt{2}\\0 &-5\sqrt{2}\\ \end{array} \right)\end{array})\\ &=& a(\left( \begin{array}{cc}-1 & 0\\0 &-1\\ \end{array} \right)\end{array})\\ &=& E\end{array}
White_M

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian for a two level system is given:

H=a(|1><1|-|2><2|+|1><2|+|2><1|)

where 'a' is a number with the dimentions of energy.

Find the energy eigenvalues and the corresponding eigenkets (as a combination of |1> and |2>).

Homework Equations

H|ψ>=E|ψ>

The Attempt at a Solution

Using |a>=∑ci |a'>

I wrote |ψ> as a combunation of the two system kets |ψ>=c1|1>+c2|2> (c1,c2 are complex numbers).

so H|ψ>= a(|1><1|-|2><2|+|1><2|+|2><1|)*(c1|1>+c2|2>)= a(c1|1>-c2|2>+c2|1>c1|2>)=a ((c1+c2)|1>+(c1-c2)|2>)=E|ψ>.

How do I continue?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Find out how to write the Hamiltonian as a matrix, and then use standard linear algebra methods to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

An example: if the Hamiltonian were ##H=2|1><1|+3|2><2|##, the corresponding matrix would be the diagonal matrix

##H=\left( \begin{array}{cc}
2 & 0 \\
0 & 3 \\ \end{array} \right)##

Here the kets correspond to column vectors. Do you know how to find the eigenvalues of matrix ##A## from the characteristic equation ##det|A-\lambda I|=0##?

Hilbert2

Thank you for responding.

I wrote the Hamiltonian as:

H11=a
H12=a
H21=a
H22=-a

Where H11,H12,H21,H22 are the H matrix components (sorry, I could not figure out how to writhe it as a matrix with this Latex Reference).

Solving Det(H-λI)=0 I got that the eigenvalues are +a[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and -a[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]

For λ=a[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] I got the vector |ψ1>= [itex]\frac{1}{4-2\sqrt{2}}[/itex](|1>+([itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]-1)|2>)
and for λ=-a[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] I got the vector |ψ2>= [itex]\frac{1}{4+2\sqrt{2}}[/itex](|1>-([itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]+1)|2>)

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Just operate on your solution vectors with the hamiltonian to test if they are correct. This kind of eigenvalue problems with small matrices can also be solved with Mathematica or WolframAlpha.

If you want to see how my matrix was written in Latex, right click on it and choose "Show Math As > TeX commands".

Likes 1 person

To find the energy eigenvalues, you need to set up the equation E|ψ>=H|ψ>, as you have done. Then, you can solve for the values of E that satisfy this equation. This will give you the energy eigenvalues for the system.

To find the corresponding eigenkets, you can use the values of E that you have found and plug them back into the original equation E|ψ>=H|ψ>. This will give you a system of equations with the coefficients c1 and c2. Solving for these coefficients will give you the corresponding eigenkets for each energy eigenvalue.

Alternatively, you can also use the formula for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 2x2 matrix to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors directly. This formula is given by:

λ1,2 = (Tr(H) ± √(Tr(H)^2 - 4det(H)))/2

and

|ψ1,2> = (1/√(c1^2 + c2^2)) * (c1|1> ± c2|2>)

where Tr(H) is the trace of the Hamiltonian matrix and det(H) is the determinant of the Hamiltonian matrix. This will give you the same result as solving the system of equations mentioned above.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the significance of eigenvalues and eigenkets in a two level system?

Eigenvalues and eigenkets represent the possible energy levels and corresponding states of a two level system. They are important in quantum mechanics as they provide the basis for understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How are eigenvalues and eigenkets related?

Eigenvalues and eigenkets are related through the eigenvalue equation, where the eigenkets represent the eigenvectors and the eigenvalues represent the corresponding scalar values. In a two level system, the eigenvalues represent the energy levels and the eigenkets represent the states associated with those energy levels.

3. How do you calculate the eigenvalues and eigenkets of a two level system?

To calculate the eigenvalues and eigenkets of a two level system, you need to solve the eigenvalue equation using the Hamiltonian operator for the system. This involves finding the eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian matrix and then determining the corresponding eigenvalues. These calculations can be quite complex and often require the use of mathematical software.

4. Can a two level system have more than two eigenvalues and eigenkets?

No, a two level system can only have two eigenvalues and eigenkets. This is because the term "two level" refers to the number of energy levels that the system can have. However, a multi-level system can have more than two eigenvalues and eigenkets.

5. What is the physical interpretation of eigenvalues and eigenkets in a two level system?

The eigenvalues in a two level system represent the allowed energy levels that a particle can have, while the corresponding eigenkets represent the states associated with those energy levels. These states can correspond to the spin, position, or other properties of the particle, and can help us understand its behavior and interactions with other particles.