Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian

In summary, the Hamiltonian of a two-level system can be represented by a matrix with components corresponding to the eigenvalues of the system. The matrix H is found to be \begin{bmatrix}\epsilon & \epsilon \\\epsilon & -\epsilon\end{bmatrix} with eigenvalues of ##\lambda = \pm \sqrt{2} \epsilon##.
astrocytosis

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian of a certain two-level system is:

$$\hat H = \epsilon (|1 \rangle \langle 1 | - |2 \rangle \langle 2 | + |1 \rangle \langle 2 | + |2 \rangle \langle 1 |)$$

Where ##|1 \rangle, |2 \rangle## is an orthonormal basis and ##\epsilon## is a number with units of energy. Find its eigenvalues and eigenvectors (as linear combinations of ##|1 \rangle, |2 \rangle##). What is the matrix H representing ##\hat H## with respect to this basis?

Homework Equations

N/A?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This problem seems like it should be simple but I think I'm having trouble internalizing the notation. I know each bracket pair represents the 11, 12, 21, 22 components of the matrix, so I thought H should be\begin{bmatrix}
\epsilon & \epsilon \\
\epsilon & -\epsilon
\end{bmatrix}

then I tried to find the eigenvalues the usual way by subtracting ##\lambda I## and taking the determinant of\begin{bmatrix}
\epsilon - \lambda & \epsilon \\
\epsilon & -\epsilon- \lambda
\end{bmatrix}
but I ended up with an expression that implies ##\lambda = 0##

$$-\epsilon^2 + \lambda^2 + \epsilon^2 = 0$$

so I must be misunderstanding something.

EDIT: I miscalculated the determinant, so my answer is actually plausible, but would still appreciate confirmation that this is correct

$$\lambda = \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \epsilon$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you wrote that last equation as you intended?

I lost a negative sign in the determinant. That will teach me not to skip steps :P Also, it's just ##\sqrt{2} \epsilon##

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian are important concepts in quantum mechanics. Eigenvalues are the possible values that can be obtained when solving the Schrödinger equation for a given system. Eigenvectors are the corresponding wavefunctions that correspond to these eigenvalues.

2. Why are eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian important?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian are important because they provide information about the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions of a quantum system. They also play a crucial role in determining the behavior and properties of the system.

3. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian calculated?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian are calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. This involves finding the solutions to the time-independent Schrödinger equation and then using these solutions to determine the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. Can a Hamiltonian have multiple sets of eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Yes, a Hamiltonian can have multiple sets of eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This is because different quantum states can have the same energy level, resulting in multiple eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a given Hamiltonian.

5. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hamiltonian are used in quantum mechanics to determine the energy levels and properties of a quantum system. They are also used in calculations and simulations to predict the behavior of a system and make predictions about its future states.