Eigenvalues and Norms: Showing Existence of a Nonsingular Matrix

  • Thread starter Thread starter xeno_gear
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Eigenvalues
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
xeno_gear
Messages
40
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let [tex]A \in \mathbb{C}^{n \times n}[/tex] and set [tex]\rho = \max_{1 \le i \le n}|\lambda_i|[/tex], where [tex]\lambda_i \, (i = 1, 2, \dots, n)[/tex] are the eigenvalues of [tex]A[/tex]. Show that for any [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex] there exists a nonsingular [tex]X \in \mathbb{C}^{n \times n}[/tex] such that [tex]\|X^{-1}AX\|_2 \le \rho + \varepsilon[/tex].


Homework Equations


[tex]\| \cdot \|_2[/tex] is the induced 2-norm.


The Attempt at a Solution


Not much.. I know that [tex]\rho[/tex] is the spectral radius, and as such is equal to the infimum of all the (induced) norms of [tex]A[/tex]. Also, I know that [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]X^{-1}AX[/tex] have the same eigenvalue properties (eigenvalues, spectral radius, algebraic and geometric multiplicities) since they're similar matrices. I can't quite figure out how to use these though. Any thoughts? Thanks..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try and diagonalise you matrix A, and then use [tex]P[/tex] as the matrix of eigenvectors, and look at [tex]X=P\cdot U[/tex] then you can look at diagonal matrices, then i think it should be just a matter of differentiation.

I could be wrong though.
 
[tex]A[/tex] is arbitrary and isn't necessarily diagonalizable. There's an SVD and a Schur factorization though.