1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues, eigenvectors, eigenstates and operators

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Good evening :-)

I have an exam on Wednesday and am working through some past papers. My uni doesn't give the model answers out, and I have come a bit stuck with one question. I have done part one, but not sure where to go from here, would be great if someone could point me in the right direction:

S2) Show that the state vectors |Sx+> = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{}2}[/itex] times a 2x1 matrix (1,1) and |Sy+> = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{}2}[/itex] times a 2x1 matrix (1,-1) are eigenvectors of Sx = h/2 times a 2x2 matrix (0 1, 1 0) with respective eigenvalues plus and minus h/2...

Part two... Of what operator is the state [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{}2}[/itex](|Sx+> + |Sy+>) and eigenstate, and with what eigenvalue...

Any help would be great and much appreciated

2. Relevant equations

All in question

3. The attempt at a solution

Part 1: This I can do by using |A - λI| = 0, finding the eigenvalues, then using A.v=λv and setting up simutaneous quations to find the eigenvalues.

Part 2... this is where I need help please :-)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello.

For part (1) you don't need to go through solving for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. You just want to verify that |Sx+>, say, is an eigenvector of the given matrix. So, just multiply the matrix times the 2x1 vector representing |Sx+> and verify that you get a constant factor times |Sx+>. The constant factor is your eigenvalue.

For part (2), what 2x1 vector do you get when you add [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{}2}[/itex](|Sx+> + |Sy+>) ? Can you recognize it?

[Aside: The notation|Sy+> for the second given vector is a bit odd. It seems like |Sx-> would be more appropriate.]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted