1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalues of a 4x4 matrix and the algebraic multipicities

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following 4 x 4 matrix:

A = [[6,3,-8,-4],[0,10,6,7],[0,0,6,-3],[0,0,0,6]]

Find the eigenvalues of the matrix and their multiplicities. Give your answer as a set of pairs:

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Set up the characteristics equation and solve it:

A = [[6,3,-8,-4],[0,10,6,7],[0,0,6,-3],[0,0,0,6]] det(A-λI)= [[6-λ,3,-8,-4],[0,10-λ,6,7],[0,0,6-λ,-3],[0,0,0,6-λ]]

This is the part where I think I am likely to make a mistake since it is rather difficult to factorize the characteristic polynomial using conventional methods(by hand).

Therefore after a few steps the characteristic polynomial for the above matrix is:

(λ^4)-(28*λ^3)+(288* λ^2)-(1296 *λ)+2160

Factorizing the characteristic polynomial yields:

Looking at the problem statement again, the question asks to find the eigenvalues and the algebraic multiplicities.

λ-10=0 therefore λ1=10
    λ-6=0 therefore λ2=6

I know that the term algebraic multiplicity of an eigenvalue means the number of times it is repeated as a root of the characteristic equation.
    With this in mind I am inclined to state that for λ1=10 the algebraic multiplicity is 1 and for
    λ2=6 the algebraic multiplicity is 3.

Therefore the answer as a set of pairs mentioned above {[lambda1,multiplicity1],[lambda2,multiplicity2],........} is {[10,1],[6,3]}

I have made a good attempt at solving this question, am I on the right track?

Thank you in advance,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see any problems. But you did work too hard to find the characteristic polynomial. Your matrix is upper triangular. If you had used a determinant method like expansion by minors, you would have gotten the determinant to come out directly as (6-λ)*(10-λ)*(6-λ)*(6-λ). Only the diagonal elements contribute.
  4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    Thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?