Introduction to Linear Algebra: Solving Real-World Problems

In summary, the conversation covers topics in linear algebra such as fixed vectors, linear subspaces, non-degenerate matrices, and linear independence of functions. The first question asks about the existence of a set of vectors for which a specific equation holds, while the second question relates the characteristic polynomials of a matrix and its inverse. The third task involves proving linear independence of exponential functions with different coefficients. The conversation also touches on the concept that a vector space must contain the origin.
xidios
Misplaced Homework Thread
Summary:: Linear algebra

1.Let a a fixed vector of the Euclidean space E, a is a fixed real number. Is there a set of all vectors from E for which (x, a) = d the linear subspace E /
Let nxn be a matrix A that is not degenerate. Prove that the characteristic polynomials f (λ) of the matrix A and h (λ) of the matrix A ^ -1 are related by

Безымянный.png

3. Prove that the functions e ^ -t, e ^ -2t, e ^ -3t are linearly independent on [0,infinity)
Please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to provide an attempt at a solution.

DrClaude said:
You'll have to provide an attempt at a solution.
Vp6WlhwN25o.jpg

Sorry, but my attempt is in Russian

What I sent for task 3 is already a decision

If you're still trying to do 1, I assume it means an open ball. Does it contain the origin ?

WWGD said:
If you're still trying to do 1, I assume it means an open ball. Does it contain the origin ?
I did 2, but I'm not sure what is right. The first I did not. I did not understand your question

i will add result of second task later.

xidios said:
I did 2, but I'm not sure what is right. The first I did not. I did not understand your question
Remember that a subspace or vector space in general must contain the origin.

WWGD said:
Remember that a subspace or vector space in general must contain the origin.
Ok, thank you

IFtMOnrgv_I.jpg

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of operations on vectors and matrices, and their applications in solving real-world problems.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. How is linear algebra used to solve real-world problems?

Linear algebra is used to represent and manipulate data in the form of vectors and matrices, which can then be used to model and solve real-world problems. It is also used to analyze and optimize systems and processes, such as in machine learning and data analysis.

4. What are some common applications of linear algebra?

Some common applications of linear algebra include image and signal processing, computer graphics, cryptography, and optimization problems. It is also widely used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering for modeling and solving various problems.

5. Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to understand linear algebra?

While a strong mathematical background can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of mathematics to learn and apply linear algebra. With practice and a solid understanding of basic algebra, most people can grasp the concepts and techniques of linear algebra.