1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eikonal Approximation: Find total Scattering Cross Section

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the Eikonal approximation
    (1) Determine the expression for the total scattering cross section of a particle in a potential V(r)
    (2) Using this result, compute the total scattered cross section for the following potential.

[tex]
    V(r)=
    \begin{cases}
    V_0, \text{for } r < a \\
    0 , \text{for } r >a
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]

Where ##V_0 > 0##

2. Relevant equations

The differential cross section is given by..

1.) [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}= |f(\vec{k}',\vec{k})|^2[/tex]

Where ##f(\vec{k}',\vec{k})## is the scattering amplitude.

2.) The optical theorem is a easy way to find the total scattered cross section from a potential. It is given by..

[tex]\text{Im}\left(f(\theta=0)\right)=\frac{\sigma_{tot}}{4\pi}[/tex]

3.) The expression for the Eikonal approximation is..

[tex]f(\vec{k}',\vec{k})=-i k \int_0^{\infty}db b J_0(kb\theta)[e^{2 i \Delta(b)}-1][/tex]

Where..

[tex]\Delta(b)=\frac{-m}{2k\hbar^2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}V(\sqrt{b^2+z^2})dz[/tex]

Where ##V(\sqrt{b^2+z^2})## means ##V## OF ##\sqrt{b^2+z^2}##, not times.

##b## is the impact parameter, and in the book they say that ##l## can be treated as a continuous variable since we are at high energies, and they say that ##l = bk ##. Not sure if this helps.

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the optical theorem (equation 2) to get..

[tex]\sigma_{tot}=4 \pi \text{Im} \left(f(\vec{k}',\vec{k})\right)=-4 \pi k \int_0^{\infty}db b J_0(kb\theta)[\text{Re}(e^{2i\Delta(b)})-1]_{\theta=0}[/tex]

So it seems that all I would need to do is calculate the integral, but I am having trouble finding ##\Delta(b)## because the limits are infinity. When I plug in the potential I get..

[tex]\Delta(b)=\frac{-m}{2k\hbar^2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}V_0dz[/tex]

Which diverges? Clearly the limits simplify to something that's not infinity on both ends. But the variable of integration is z, which has no limit in either direction. I found some examples, but the ones I found use the gaussian potential and do not change the limits of integration.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

The range of integration should be: b²+z²<a² .

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3
    So I guess the integration is only over the scatterer?

So if I have ##b^2+z^2=a^2 \rightarrow z=\sqrt{a^2-b^2}##. So the limits of integration should be from ##z=-\sqrt{a^2-b^2}## to ##z=\sqrt{a^2-b^2}##?

5. Apr 15, 2014 #4

maajdl

Gold Member

The limits are over the whole space.
    But your potential V(r) is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted