Einstein needs to show his work

In summary, Einstein's book on relativity is dense and difficult to follow. He skips important steps in his derivation of the Lorentz transformation, leaving the reader to figure them out. His equations (5) and (6) are straightforward, but he claims to be able to omit t from both equations and obtain the result x' = a(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})x. However, when trying to do so, he is at a loss and requires the help of equation 6. This equation yields v = \frac{x}{t}. Substituting in eq 6 and eliminating t yields x' = x(a-\frac{b^2}{a})x. However
rhenretta
I'm reading Einstein's book on relativity (aptly named Relativity), and trying to follow his "simple" derivation of the Lorentz transformation in Appendix 1. However, since Einstein feels it acceptable to skip over important steps, it leaves me to figure them out, but I am lost on one step...

The relevant equations are as follows (keeping the equation numbers consistent with his)

Eq 5:
[tex]x' = ax - bct[/tex]

[tex]ct' = act - bx[/tex]

Eq 6:
[tex]v=\frac{bc}{a}[/tex]

He claims:
But if the snapshot is taken from K'(t'=0), and if we eliminate t from the equations (5), taking into account the expression (6) we obtain:

[tex]x' = a(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})x[/tex]

I tried following the steps expressed:

First, substituting t'=0 into (5):

[tex]x' = ax - bct[/tex]

[tex]0 = act - bx[/tex]

Now, to eliminate t, I can only see to do this with equation 6 since

[tex]v = \frac{x}{t}[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{x}{v}[/tex]

This leaves me with:

[tex]x' = ax - bc\frac{x}{v}[/tex]

[tex]0 = ac\frac{x}{v} - bx[/tex]

It is at this point I am at a loss where to go next to obtain his result.

Physics news on Phys.org
rhenretta said:
[tex]0 = act - bx[/tex]

Solve for [itex]t[/itex] in the above, stick the result in the [itex]x'[/itex] equation of (5), and then use (6).

Following that, I get:

[tex]t=\frac{bx}{ac}[/tex]

Substituting in eq 5 (and reducing for simplicity - ironic I am not showing my work):

[tex]x' = x(a-\frac{b^2}{a})[/tex]

I'm trying to use eq 6 by solving it for b:

[tex]b = \frac{av}{c}[/tex]

substituting b:

[tex]x' = x(a-\frac{( \frac{av}{c})^2}{a})[/tex]

Do a little reduction: (bear with me, doing the work via the forums)
[tex]x' = x(a (\frac{a}{a}) -\frac{( \frac{av}{c})^2}{a})[/tex]

[tex]x' = x(\frac{a^2}{a} -\frac{( \frac{av}{c})^2}{a})[/tex]

[tex]x' = x(\frac{\frac{a^2v^2}{c^2} - a^2}{a})[/tex]

[tex]x' = x(\frac{\frac{a^2v^2}{c^2} - a^2 * \frac{c^2}{c^2}}{a})[/tex]

[tex]x' = x(\frac{\frac{a^2v^2}{c^2} - \frac{a^2c^2}{c^2}}{a})[/tex]

[tex]x' = x(\frac{\frac{a^2v^2 - a^2c^2}{c^2}}{a})[/tex]

[tex]x' = x(\frac{\frac{a^2(v^2 - c^2)}{c^2}}{a})[/tex]

[tex]x' = x(\frac{a^2(v^2 - c^2)}{c^2} * \frac{1}{a})[/tex]

[tex]x' = x(\frac{a(v^2 - c^2)}{c^2})[/tex]

[tex]x' = a(\frac{v^2 - c^2}{c^2})x[/tex]

Getting close, but here is why my algebra skills fail me. How does this reduce down to:

[tex]x' = a(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})x[/tex]

Last edited:
Note, I fixed my math above (I think), though since I reused my last post it could be cached. Shift-F5 will fix that (or ctl f5, or shift refresh, or whatever that keystroke is)

Last edited:
How did you go from
rhenretta said:
[tex]x' = x(\frac{a^2}{a} -\frac{( \frac{av}{c})^2}{a})[/tex]

to
rhenretta said:
[tex]x' = x(\frac{\frac{a^2v^2}{c^2} - a^2}{a})[/tex]

crap, I even double checked my work before submitting...

[tex]x' = (\frac{a^2 - \frac{a^2v^2}{c^2}}{a})x[/tex]

[tex]x' = (\frac{a^2 * \frac{c^2}{c^2} - \frac{a^2v^2}{c^2}}{a})x[/tex]

[tex]x' = (\frac{\frac{a^2c^2}{c^2} - \frac{a^2v^2}{c^2}}{a})x[/tex]

[tex]x' = (\frac{\frac{a^2(c^2 - v^2)}{c^2}}{a})x[/tex]

[tex]x' = (\frac{a^2(c^2 - v^2)}{c^2} * \frac{1}{a})x[/tex]

[tex]x' = (\frac{a(c^2 - v^2)}{c^2})x[/tex]

[tex]x' = a(\frac{c^2 - v^2}{c^2})x[/tex]

I feel sufficiently stupid now, especially since I must be forgetting a reduction rule in algebra still. I don't see how that reduces down farther.

rhenretta said:

I feel sufficiently stupid now, especially since I must be forgetting a reduction rule in algebra still. I don't see show that reduces down farther.
The reduction rule you're missing is just that [tex]\frac{x + y}{z} = \frac{x}{z} + \frac{y}{z}[/tex]. Apply that to the fraction in your equation above and you get Einstein's equation.

rhenretta said:

I feel sufficiently stupid now, especially since I must be forgetting a reduction rule in algebra still. I don't see how that reduces down farther.

Anyone can forget things unless you were being sarcastic.
[tex]x' = a(\frac{c^2}{c^2} - \frac{v^2}{c^2})x[/tex]

[tex]x' = a(1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2})x[/tex]

rhenretta said:

Just separate the terms in that fraction, dividing each term in the numerator by the denominator. In general:

[tex]\frac{a + b}{c} = \frac{a}{c} + \frac{b}{c}[/tex]

oh, of course, thank you all of you. And, no I was not being sarcastic, I am tough on myself. Expecting perfection is the only way to achieve it.

What does it mean for Einstein to show his work?

Showing work is a common practice in mathematics and science where the steps and calculations used to arrive at a solution are shown. This allows others to follow the thought process and verify the accuracy of the solution.

Why is it important for Einstein to show his work?

By showing his work, Einstein can demonstrate the validity of his theories and provide evidence for his conclusions. This allows others to understand and replicate his thought process, leading to further advancements in science.

How does Einstein show his work?

Einstein used various methods to show his work, including mathematical equations, diagrams, and thought experiments. He also published his work in scientific journals and presented it at conferences.

What are the benefits of Einstein showing his work?

By showing his work, Einstein not only provided evidence for his theories but also opened up his ideas to peer review and criticism. This helped to refine his theories and further contribute to the advancement of science.

Are there any drawbacks to Einstein showing his work?

One potential drawback is that showing work can be time-consuming and may slow down the process of scientific discovery. Additionally, if not done properly, it can also lead to errors and misunderstandings. However, the benefits of showing work far outweigh any potential drawbacks.