1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic 2-D Collisions without given masses?

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a classic curing shot, the shot stone, traveling at 6.0m/s [E] hits a stationary stone. The target stone is propelled at a velocity of 2.0 m/s [East30degreesSouth] What is the velocity of the shot stone after the collision? (Assume the collision is fully elastic)

2. Relevant equations
    V11 =((ΔmΔV)/ MT) + V2
    V21 = ((-2*M1*ΔV) / MT) + V2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to figure out this question without a mass
    Do I go through the solution and just sub in a value for m? The problem is that the result will be different if the curling stones have different masses...
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Since the masses of the stones are the same, I would think it would cancel out.
  4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    Thats just it, it doesn't say they are the same. It doesn't specify what the mass is of either of the stones..
  5. Dec 14, 2008 #4
    "a classic curing shot" so its the same mass.
  6. Dec 14, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. Dec 14, 2008 #6
    Oh, I didn't realize that in a classic curling shot, they have the same mass... We've done examples in class where the rocks have the same mass, and some have different...
    Thanks for your help everyone :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?