Elastic and gravitational potential energy

In summary: Hi,Thank you for the response. I really fail to see how this will get me to the answer. I am a Physics teacher myself and am aware of the necessity of patience while understanding things. However, there are times when a simple/clear explanation is all a student wants instead of building it up painfully slowly with seemingly obscure questions. Instead of patronizing me, if you could elaborate on the point Haruspex is trying to make, that would be much appreciated.
Doc Al said:
What's the direction of the force exerted by the hand? What's the direction of motion?
the hand is not exerting a force, the hand is countering the force because of the force exerted by the mass, the hand initially exerts a force (because we are assuming that the body is always in equilibrium) and this is countered by the force exerted by the mass. As the mass drops, it requires progressively lesser support from the hand and finally when the body has dropped, the support required from the hand is zero. At every point the force exerted by the mass is balanced by supporting force from the hand. (while the motion takes place, the force because of the mass is infinitesimally higher than the supporting force and hence the downward motion)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pratik89 said:
the hand is not exerting a force
Of course it does. You describe that force yourself!

Pratik89 said:
the hand is countering the force because of the force exerted by the mass, the hand initially exerts a force (because we are assuming that the body is always in equilibrium) and this is countered by the force exerted by the mass. As the mass drops, it requires progressively lesser support from the hand and finally when the body has dropped, the support required from the hand is zero. At every point the force exerted by the mass is balanced by supporting force from the hand. (while the motion takes place, the force because of the mass is infinitesimally higher than the supporting force and hence the downward motion)

There are three forces acting on the mass as it lowers. The upward force of the hand is one of those forces.

The mass is acted upon by these forces
1. It's own weight force
2. At the beginning the rope does not apply any force, and the hand completely supports it. As the mass is lowered, the support required from the hand reduces because the rope takes over. Finally, when the mass is at the lowest point the hand provides no support and all the force is from the rope.
I think we are going off track, this still does not answer the difference between the change in gravitational potential energy and storage of elastic energy in the rope.

Pratik89 said:
I think we are going off track, this still does not answer the difference between the change in gravitational potential energy and storage of elastic energy in the rope.
Only because, for some reason, you are ignoring the work done by the hand.

Pratik89 said:
The mass is acted upon by these forces
1. It's own weight force
2. At the beginning the rope does not apply any force, and the hand completely supports it. As the mass is lowered, the support required from the hand reduces because the rope takes over. Finally, when the mass is at the lowest point the hand provides no support and all the force is from the rope.
This is confusing.

There are three forces acting on the object as it is lowered:
1) the object's weight (a constant)
2) the upward force of the spring (which varies from 0 to max)
3) the upward force of the hand (which varies from max to 0)

Doc Al said:
This is confusing.

There are three forces acting on the object as it is lowered:
1) the object's weight (a constant)
2) the upward force of the spring (which varies from 0 to max)
3) the upward force of the hand (which varies from max to 0)
this is exactly what I mention in the second point, the zero to max variation ensures that that sum of forces in point 2 and point 3 adds up to the force in point 1.

Pratik89 said:
this is exactly what I mention in the second point, the zero to max variation ensures that that sum of forces in point 2 and point 3 adds up to the force in point 1.
Sure. So?

Once again: Compare the work done by the hand with the work done by gravity. Then you'll see where the missing energy goes.

Pratik89 said:
But you keep dodging the question... what is the work done by the hand in consequence of this? What is the displacement of the hand while exerting this force?

Doc Al said:
Sure. So?

Once again: Compare the work done by the hand with the work done by gravity. Then you'll see where the missing energy goes.
if your claim is that the energy goes to the hand, I am not entirely convinced. Work is defined as force*displacement. The net force on the hand is always zero. So no work has been done on the hand no matter how much it gets displaced

Pratik89 said:
The net force on the hand is always zero.
The force the mass exerts on the hand is not zero, therefore it does work on the hand. If the net force on the hand is zero it is because the hand is exerting a force on the arm, and so forth. The buck stops somewhere.

Pratik89 said:
The net force on the hand is always zero. So no work has been done on the hand no matter how much it gets displaced
Let's talk about the work done on the object by the hand. (Work is done on the hand by the object. It exerts a force through a distance. Sure, it's not the only force acting on the hand. But so what?)

Doc Al said:
Let's talk about the work done on the object by the hand. (Work is done on the hand by the object. It exerts a force through a distance. Sure, it's not the only force acting on the hand. But so what?)

Alright, so this is what you are saying, correct me if I am wrong
The mass loses potential energy because it gets lower.
This potential energy is distributed to the rope and to the hand equally, because the hand is being acted upon by the mass (weight) of the object

Pratik89 said:
Alright, so this is what you are saying, correct me if I am wrong
The mass loses potential energy because it gets lower.
This potential energy is distributed to the rope and to the hand equally, because the hand is being acted upon by the mass (weight) of the object
Careful with your terminology. But yes, the hand and the mass exert forces on each other, thus a portion of the energy goes into the hand (eventually becoming thermal energy). As you can work out, the gravitational energy divides equally between spring PE and work done on the hand.

Doc Al said:
Careful with your terminology. But yes, the hand and the mass exert forces on each other, thus a portion of the energy goes into the hand (eventually becoming thermal energy). As you can work out, the gravitational energy divides equally between spring PE and work done on the hand.
Alright, I have one alternative explanation too, but I am not sure it is correct
If the rope extends by x, the centre of mass of the rope should therefore move by x/2. Assuming that the center of mass (of rope) is the point where the new mass is tied, the new mass only moves down by x/2 whereas the rope extends by x, in this case the energy lost by the new mass (due to change in height) is the same as energy stored in the rope. Your comments on this?

Pratik89 said:
Alright, I have one alternative explanation too, but I am not sure it is correct
If the rope extends by x, the centre of mass of the rope should therefore move by x/2. Assuming that the center of mass is the point where the mass is tied, the mass only moves down by x/2 whereas the spring extends by x, in this case the energy lost by the mass (due to change in height) is the same as energy stored in the rope. Your comments on this?
The rope is assumed massless: treat it like a massless spring.

Imagine these cases:
(1) Only gravity acts on the mass (no rope or hand): Initial gravitational energy goes into KE of object.
(2) Only gravity and spring force (rope) acts on the mass: Energy goes into spring PE and KE of object
(3) Gravity, rope, and hand all act on the object (slowly lowering it): Energy goes into spring PE and work done on the hand.