Elastic collision against a moving wall

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of elastic collisions and the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. It is mentioned that in an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision remains the same. The question of the effect of a moving wall on the end velocity of a ball is also raised. It is suggested to transform to a frame where the wall is at rest to solve the problem and then transform back. The equations for a one-dimensional collision are provided and it is noted that the mass of the wall is assumed to be infinite, resulting in its velocity remaining unchanged after the collision. The process of transforming frames is demonstrated and it is concluded that the wall's velocity is additive to that of the ball in a linear
AlexmBIOSS
Hello,
A very basic question, with a bit of confusion.
a ball hitting a wall which is not moving with velocity v in an elastic collision has its momentum conserved, opposite velocity; -v.
if the ball is to collide with a wall which has a velocity -v, equal speed towards the ball, what is the return velocity for the ball of mass m?

Can we just say that the ball is moving relative to the wall and has a velocity of 2v who's momentum will be conserved? Or is there some other relationship?

Thanks in advance,
Alex M.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the ball bounces off the wall, its momentum' is not conserved. In an elastic collision, energy is conserved.

Hint: Transform to a frame in which the answer is obvious. Then transform back to the original frame.

Doc Al said:
If the ball bounces off the wall, its momentum' is not conserved. In an elastic collision, energy is conserved.

Hint: Transform to a frame in which the answer is obvious. Then transform back to the original frame.

Obvious as a "Wall"... hint hint...

"An elastic collision is defined as one in which both conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy are observed. This implies that there is no dissipative force acting during the collision and that all of the kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is still in the form of kinetic energy afterward."

So the momentum for the ball is conserved. v=v and v'=-v
But what effect does the wall's movement have on the end velocity?
This is a question of curiosity, not for any school assignment. A change of frame just creates a linear relationship where the wall's velocity is additive to that of the ball.

AlexmBIOSS said:
"An elastic collision is defined as one in which both conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy are observed. This implies that there is no dissipative force acting during the collision and that all of the kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is still in the form of kinetic energy afterward."
Sure, if you include the entire system--ball + wall (and attached planet)--then momentum is conserved.
The momentum of the ball itself is not conserved. Recall that momentum is a vector. The ball switches direction. (Sure the magnitude of the ball's momentum doesn't change.)
This is a question of curiosity, not for any school assignment. A change of frame just creates a linear relationship where the wall's velocity is additive to that of the ball.
Assuming the ball is a normal ball (not something the size of the moon), then you realize that in an elastic collision with the wall that all of the kinetic energy remains with the ball--to a very close approximation. (Of course the wall and planet do move a teensy little bit--way too small to notice.)

Do as I suggest: Transform to a frame in which the wall is at rest. Solve the problem. Then transform back. Just do it!

Last edited:
I know I'm coming late to this party, but i have a similar problem to solve and ended up here. I picked up some starting equations from Wikipedia, which i am trusting at the moment, but they look good at first glace. These are for a one dimensional collision where m1, u1, and v1 are the mass, the velocity before collision, and the velocity after collision of first object, and m2, u2, and v2 are the analogous for the second object. m and u are given, and v is what we are trying to find out. The equations are:

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

... and...

v1 - v2 = u2 - u1

So, when we solve for v1 and v2, we end up with this:

v1 = (m1u1 + 2m2u2 - m2u1) / (m1 + m2)
v2 = (m2u2 + 2m1u1 - m1u2) / (m1 + m2)

It's been a while since i had to do any heavy equation solving, but the result is satisfyingly mirrored, so i'll assume it's right and proceed. So, the thing about the "wall" is that it's mass is assumed to be effectively infinite, such that it is not moved by the collision. Using the concept of a limit, we can observe what happens to the equations as m1 approaches infinity. We end up with this:

As m1 --> infinity and m2 remains constant:
v1 = u1
v2 = 2u1 - u2

So, we see that the velocity of the wall is unchanged by the collision, which is what we would expect.

Ok, let's say u1=3 and u2=-2. If we transform to a frame where the wall is at rest (a'=a-3 where a is any variable), we get u1'=0 and u2'=-5. For a wall at rest we know v2=-u2, so v2'=5. Transforming back (a=a'+3) we get v2=8. This is the same result as when we use the above equation v2 = 2u1 - u2 = 2*3 + 2 = 8.

Ok, so all i did was just back up Doc Al, but i thought the process was interesting, and wanted to share.

Cheers,
m@

AlexmBIOSS said:
"An elastic collision is defined as one in which both conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy are observed. This implies that there is no dissipative force acting during the collision and that all of the kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is still in the form of kinetic energy afterwards."

If you are in a reference frame (RF) where the wall is moving, its potential of interaction is time-dependent (a step-wise form). Any system with a time-dependent potential is not conservative - the energy and momentum do not conserve.

In a RF where the wall is still you can apply the conservation laws. There the energy conserves and the momentum changes the sign (does not conserve due to presence of a force!).

mlohbihler said:
m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

... and...

v1 - v2 = u2 - u1

So, when we solve for v1 and v2, we end up with this:

v1 = (m1u1 + 2m2u2 - m2u1) / (m1 + m2)
v2 = (m2u2 + 2m1u1 - m1u2) / (m1 + m2)

I used the same equations from Wikipedia to solve a problem involving the collision of two vehicles in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2304842#post2304842

The Wikipedia page on elastic collisions was very educational for me.
AlexmBIOSS said:
A very basic question, with a bit of confusion.
a ball hitting a wall which is not moving with velocity v in an elastic collision has its momentum conserved, opposite velocity; -v.
if the ball is to collide with a wall which has a velocity -v, equal speed towards the ball, what is the return velocity for the ball of mass m?
In the first instance the wall is immovable, so the ball will have velocity -v after impact and the wall will have velocity 0. In the second instance the wall is not immovable but has velocity -v. The velocity of the wall and ball after impact in this case will depend on the mass of the two objects. If they both have the same mass then the wall will have velocity v and the ball will have velocity -v. If they have different mass then you should use the equation.

Ok new complication then: let's say the wall is moving with velocity -vt, ie it's accelerating, in which case moving to the reference frame of the wall doesn't work I think (cause it's an accelerating reference frame). How do you solve the problem then?

asdadadasdada said:
Ok new complication then: let's say the wall is moving with velocity -vt, ie it's accelerating, in which case moving to the reference frame of the wall doesn't work I think (cause it's an accelerating reference frame). How do you solve the problem then?
What matters is the speed of the wall at the time of collision. Transform into that frame.

1. What is an elastic collision against a moving wall?

An elastic collision against a moving wall is a type of collision between two objects, where one object is stationary and the other is moving. The moving object collides with the stationary object and bounces off with the same speed and direction, while the stationary object remains unaffected.

2. How does the velocity of the moving object affect the collision?

The velocity of the moving object plays a crucial role in an elastic collision against a moving wall. The faster the moving object is, the greater its momentum and kinetic energy will be. This results in a more significant impact on the stationary object and a more significant change in the direction of the moving object after the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

An elastic collision is a collision where both objects bounce off each other with the same speed and direction, while an inelastic collision is a collision where the two objects stick together after the impact. In an elastic collision against a moving wall, the moving object bounces off the wall, making it an elastic collision.

4. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision against a moving wall?

The outcome of an elastic collision against a moving wall is affected by several factors, such as the mass and velocity of the moving object, the elasticity of the objects involved, and the angle of impact. These factors determine the momentum, kinetic energy, and direction of the moving object after the collision.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions against a moving wall?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions against a moving wall include a tennis player hitting a ball against a wall, a person catching a ball thrown at them, and a car colliding with a stationary object. In each of these scenarios, the moving object bounces off the stationary object with the same speed and direction, exhibiting an elastic collision.