Elastic collision between 248.2 kg and 149.9 kg satellites

  • Thread starter Thread starter hobo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
hobo
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have no clue on where to start on this. I have spent time playing with that cart thing and the momentum balls and I have ideas floating around, but nothing concrete.

There is a 248.2kg Soviet satellite traveling due east at a velocity of 1025km/hr and a 149.9kg US satellite traveling due west at a velocity of 1181.8km/hr. The colission is perfectly elastic. What happens afterwards?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of momentum (no external forces) and conservation of energy (fully elastic collision)
 
From what you told me, I used

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'
(mv1^2)/2 + (mv2^2)/2 = (mv1'^2)/2 + (mv2'^2)/2

I solved both for V1' then I plugged in the numbers.After that, it came out to

5364792208 - 35930354.61v2' +59675.19v2'^2

I then plugged it into the quadratic equation, getting 328.08333m/s which is v2, and 274.0153711m/s, which is not the answer my teacher gave me
 
Did you take into account that the velocities are in different directions?
 
Now, let's solve this problem in full:
I will assume that you gave me the right information, in particular that the collision was fully ELASTIC.

The equations for two objects, 1 and 2, to be solved are:
[tex]m_{1}v_{1,a}+m_{2}v_{2,a}=m_{1}v_{1,b}+m_{2}v_{2,b}[/tex]

This is conservation of momentum, as you had; b and a refer to initial and final velocities (before and after collision).

Energy conservation:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m_{1}v_{1,a}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{2}v_{2,a}^{2}=\frac{1}{2}m_{1}v_{1,b}^{2}+\frac{1}{2}m_{2}v_{2,b}^{2}[/tex]

This is also, I believe, what you meant.
Note that the energy equation can be simplified in the following manner:
[tex]m_{1}(v_{1,b}-v_{1,a})(v_{1,b}+v_{1,a})+m_{2}(v_{2,b}-v_{2,a})(v_{2,b}+v_{2,a})=0[/tex]

Rewrite the momentum equation as:
[tex]m_{2}(v_{2,b}-v_{2,a})=-m_{1}(v_{1,b}-v_{1,a})[/tex]

Hence, the energy equation may be written as:
[tex]m_{1}(v_{1,b}-v_{1,a})(v_{1,b}+v_{1,a}-(v_{2,b}+v_{2,a}))=0[/tex]

The root [tex]v_{1,b}=v_{1,a}[/tex] corresponds to no collision, so we have the following system to solve:
[tex]v_{1,b}+v_{1,a}=v_{2,b}+v_{2,a}[/tex]
[tex]m_{1}v_{1,a}+m_{2}v_{2,a}=m_{1}v_{1,b}+m_{2}v_{2,b}[/tex]

Solving for [tex]v_{1,a},v_{2,a}[/tex] yields:
[tex]v_{1,a}=\frac{(m_{1}-m_{2})v_{1,b}+2m_{2}v_{2,b}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/tex]
[tex]v_{2,a}=\frac{(m_{2}-m_{1})v_{2,b}+2m_{1}v_{1,b}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/tex]

Now, we have simplified the symbolic expressions maximally; it is time to enter in the values!
We set:
[tex]m_{1}=149.9,v_{1,b}=1181.8[/tex]
[tex]m_{2}=248.2,v_{2,b}=-1025[/tex]

The answers should be quite different from the ones you gave