Elastic collision in 2-dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the collision of two identical balls, one initially moving at 3.0 m/s and the other stationary. The solution involves applying the principles of momentum and kinetic energy conservation to determine the final velocities of both balls after the collision. However, there may be an error in the math, particularly in the step where the equations are squared and combined to eliminate the angle θ.
spark8819

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg ball moving with a speed of 3.0 m/s hits, elastically, an identical stationary ball. If the first ball moves away with angle 30° to the original path, determine:

a. the speed of the first ball after the collision.

b. the speed and direction of the second ball after the collision. 2. Homework Equations
pi=pf
KEi=KEf[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this problem multiple times using several variations in the math but always seem to run into the same issue of getting an impossible value for v'a as shown below.
[/B]
Momentum conserved in x-axis:

mvax+mvbx=mv'ax+mv'bx

va=v'acos30+v'bcosθ

3=0.866v'a+v'bcosθ (1)

Momentum conserved in y-axis:

mvay+mvby=mv'ay+mv'by

0=v'ay+(-v'by)

v'asin30=v'bsinθ

0.5v'a=v'bsinθ (2)

Kinetic energy conserved:

va^2=v'a^2+v'b^2

9=v'a^2+v'b^2 (3)

Next, I squared equations (1) and (2) and added them together so I could use the trig identity sin^2θ+cos^2θ equals one to get rid of the theta and end up with the following equation:

v'b^2(cos^2θ+sin^2θ) = 0.75v'a^2 - 9 + 0.25v'a^2

v'b^2 = v'a^2 - 9 (4)

Next, I write equation (3) in terms of v'b^2 and substitute it into equation (4) to get the following:

va^2 - v'a^2 = v'a^2 - 9

3^2 - v'a^2 = v'a^2 - 9

18 = 2v'a^2

v'a= 3 m/s

I know this answer can't be right because some of the energy from ball A will be lost after the collision which will cause a reduction in its velocity. Fairly confident in the methodology behind this but I think I am making a mistake in the math somewhere that I am missing.

Any assistance/comments are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
spark8819 said:
v'b^2(cos^2θ+sin^2θ) = 0.75v'a^2 - 9 + 0.25v'a^2
Try that step again, maybe taking smaller steps.

Square eq (1):

(3)^2=(0.866v'a+v'bcosθ)^2

9=(0.866v'a+v'bcosθ)(0.866v'a-v'bcosθ)

9=0.75v'a^2-0.866v'av'bcosθ+0.866v'av'bcosθ-v'b^2cos^2θ

9=0.75v'a^2-v'b^2cos^2θ

REARRANGE:

v'b^2cos^2θ=0.75v'a^2-9 (1)

Square eq (2):

(0.5v'a)^2=(v'bsinθ)^2

0.25v'a^2=v'b^2sin^2θ

REARRANGE:

v'b^2sin^2θ=0.25v'a^2 (2)

ADD EQ (1) and (2):

v'b^2cos^2θ+v'b^2sin^2θ=0.75v'a^2-9+0.25v'a^2

Then, factor out v'b^2 and combine like terms on the right side:

v'b^2(cos^2θ+sin^2θ)=v'a^2-9

then I am left with:

v'b^2=v'a^2-9I am having a hard time seeing where I am going wrong here... I feel like its positive/negative error but not sure. :confused:

spark8819 said:
Square eq (1):

(3)^2=(0.866v'a+v'bcosθ)^2

9=(0.866v'a+v'bcosθ)(0.866v'a-v'bcosθ)
Why does the second fctor on the right have a minus sign ?

The right hand side should be (0.866v'a + v'bcosθ)(0.866v'a + v'bcosθ)

... but that won't result in getting rid of θ in the end.
9=0.75v'a^2-0.866v'av'bcosθ+0.866v'av'bcosθ-v'b^2cos^2θ

9=0.75v'a^2-v'b^2cos^2θ

REARRANGE:

v'b^2cos^2θ=0.75v'a^2-9 (1)

Square eq (2):

(0.5v'a)^2=(v'bsinθ)^2

0.25v'a^2=v'b^2sin^2θ

REARRANGE:

v'b^2sin^2θ=0.25v'a^2 (2)

ADD EQ (1) and (2):

v'b^2cos^2θ+v'b^2sin^2θ=0.75v'a^2-9+0.25v'a^2

Then, factor out v'b^2 and combine like terms on the right side:

v'b^2(cos^2θ+sin^2θ)=v'a^2-9

then I am left with:

v'b^2=v'a^2-9I am having a hard time seeing where I am going wrong here... I feel like its positive/negative error but not sure. :confused:

1. What is an elastic collision in 2-dimensions?

An elastic collision in 2-dimensions is a type of collision between two objects where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision in 2-dimensions?

In an elastic collision in 2-dimensions, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the individual momenta of the objects in the x and y directions remains the same.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the objects bounce off each other. In an inelastic collision, there is some loss of kinetic energy and the objects may stick together after the collision. Momentum is still conserved in both types of collisions.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision in 2-dimensions?

The final velocities of the two objects after an elastic collision in 2-dimensions can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects.

5. Can an elastic collision in 2-dimensions occur between more than two objects?

Yes, an elastic collision in 2-dimensions can occur between more than two objects. The same principles of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy apply, but the calculations become more complex with more objects involved.