Elastic Collision is outer space

In summary, two astronauts of masses 60 kg and 84 kg, initially at rest in outer space, push off each other with an unknown force. Using conservation of momentum, we can determine that the lighter astronaut will travel 10 meters while the heavier astronaut will travel a constant distance 'a'. The final velocities of both astronauts can be determined using conservation of energy and momentum.
RedBurns
I think I'm getting lost in the numbers somewhere here.

Two astronauts, one of mass 60 kg and the other 84 kg, are initially at rest in outer space. They then push each other apart. How far apart are they when the lighter astronaut has moved 10 m?

m1= 60 kg
m2=84 kg
X initial = 0
X1 final= 10 m
V1 inital = 0
V2 initial= 0
V 1 final= 10m/s
T=1 S

.5*60*0^2 + .5*84*0^2 = .5*60*10^2 +.5*84*V2Final^2
0=3000 + 42* V2Final^2
-71=V2Final^2
V2Final = -8.5 m/s

8.5+10=18.5 m

Likes Irfan Nafi
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you say the final velocity for astronaut one is 10 m/s? This isn't right. You need to determine the velocity of each astronaut after they push off each other. Since the collision is elastic, you can use conservation of energy and momentum to find the two velocities. Notice that as it stands now, your astronauts have not conserved momentum!

Edit: Yikes, I knew there was some reason this question was bothering me. Redburns, I'm sorry, but I didn't read the question or your response very carefully. The square root of a negative number is imaginary, not another negative number. Clearly the "collision" or push can't be elastic since they start out with no kinetic energy. My apologies for posting too quickly without reading things carefully. You do need to use conservation of momentum.

Last edited:
Likes Irfan Nafi
Their combined centre of mass will stay at the initial point and will not move after the interaction since they are experiencing only internal forces.

In the question you posted no information is given about the strength of the push given and so finding the *numerical* velocity of either person A or B is going to be a bit tricky (did one push very gently with his little finger or give him a mighty big shove!)...knowing these facts are not necessary!

What is important is that the impulse that A exerts on B is the same impulse that B imparts on A

Whether the lighter dudes velocity was 5m/s or 0.0001m/s he is always going to have traveled a distance of 10 meters at precisely the same point when the heavy dude has traveled 'a' meters (where 'a' is constant) (assuming no other forces are acting)

Last edited:
Thanks! I though I might be making this one harder than it should be.

Likes Irfan Nafi

1. What is an elastic collision in outer space?

An elastic collision in outer space is a type of collision between two objects where both the momentum and kinetic energy of the objects are conserved. This means that after the collision, the total momentum and kinetic energy of the objects will be the same as before the collision.

2. How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision in outer space?

In an inelastic collision, the kinetic energy of the objects is not conserved, meaning that some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In an elastic collision, however, the kinetic energy remains the same before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision in outer space?

The outcome of an elastic collision in outer space can be affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of the objects involved in the collision. The elasticity of the objects and the nature of the forces acting on them can also play a role in the outcome of the collision.

4. Is an elastic collision the same in outer space as it is on Earth?

Yes, an elastic collision follows the same principles in outer space as it does on Earth. However, in outer space, there is no air resistance or other external forces that can affect the objects involved in the collision, so the outcome may be slightly different.

5. Why is it important to study elastic collisions in outer space?

Studying elastic collisions in outer space can help us better understand the laws of physics and how objects interact with each other in a zero-gravity environment. This knowledge can also be applied to various engineering and scientific endeavors, such as designing spacecraft and predicting the behavior of objects in orbit.