Elastic Collision Momentum problem help

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the maximum height that a block of mass m1 would reach after making a head-on elastic collision with a block of mass m2. The equations used were Pi = Pf and Ef = Ei + other work, and the final formula obtained was h = c1^2/2g. The formula 2m1v1/(m1+m2) + (m2-m1)/(m1+m2)v2 = c2 was also mentioned, which is derived from the same method as the previous formula. It was also noted that in some cases, the velocity of one of the blocks may become negative after the collision.
dynoma5

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 = 5.00 kg is released from A. It makes a head on elastic collision at B with a block of mass m2=10.0kg that is initially at rest. Calculate the maximum height to which m1 rises after the collision
a0f4d0e2c1e48a8eba9f9376d13c786d.jpg

Homework Equations

Pi = Pf
Ef= Ei + other work

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 m1v1^2 = m1gh
v1 = square root of 2gh = 10 m/s
Pi = Pf
m1v1 +m2v2 = m1c1 + m2c2
m1v1 = m1c1 + m2c2
m1(v1 - c1) = m2c2
1/2 m1v1^2 = 1/2 m1c1^2 + 1/2 m2c2^2
m1(v1^2 - c1^2) = m2c2^2
then i used that and divided by the Pi = Pf and i got
(v1+c1) = c2
all right I'm stuck around here and have no clue what to do from here. Someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have got two equations for c1 and c2.

m1(v1 - c1) = m2c2

and

(v1+c1) = c2

Insert the second one for c2 into the first equation, solve for c1, then calculate c2.

ehild

kk so then i'd get m1(v1 - c1) = m2(v1 +c1)
m1v1 - m2v1 = m2c1 + m1 c1
so c1= (m1v1 - m2v1)/(m2+m1)
but that would give me a negative which means that m1 would travel back after collision?

"but that would give me a negative which means that m1 would travel back after collision?"

yes, m1 starts to travel backwards and rises uphill, and you can calculate its maximum height now.

ehild

backwards and rises to the

omg i see it now. Even the question was implying that the m1 was going to go backward after collision but I was thinking that m1 was suppose to go forward too after the collision so I thought I did something wrong. kk so for c1 i got -3.33 m/s and c2 i got 6.67 m/s. using conservation of energy it will be Ef = Ei which is also PEf + KEf = KEi + PEi. m1gh = 1/2 m1c1^2. Reducing it down will be h = c1^2/2g = .55m ?I feel so stupid but thanks for the help. I've seen ppl use the formula 2m1v1/(m1+m2) + (m2-m1)/(m1+m2)v2 = c2 when solving for a elastic collision but how did they get that formula?

Last edited:
They use the same method you applied. In general,

m1v1+m2v2=m1c1+m2c2--->m1(v1-c1)=-m2(v2-c2)
m1v12+m2v22=m1c12+m2c22--->
m1(v1-c1)(v1+c1)=-m2(v2-c2)(v2+c2)

divide the equations :v1+c1=v2+c2.

You have two linear equations for c1 and c2:

v1+c1=v2+c2 (a)

m1(v1-c1)=-m2(v2-c2) (b)

Multiply eq. (a) by m1, and add to (b). c1 cancels. Solve for c2.

If multiplying (a) with m2 and subtracting (b), c2 will cancel.

About negative velocity after collision: push a light coin against a heavy one, what happens? Never tried?

ehild

ahh i see if you put it that way then i can see waht you mean. Again thanks for the clarification!

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both objects rebound off of each other with no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved.

2. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision is equal. This is because momentum is conserved, meaning that it cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

3. What is the equation for calculating momentum in an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating momentum in an elastic collision is: p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This equation can be used to calculate the momentum of each object before and after the collision.

4. How do you determine the velocities of objects after an elastic collision?

To determine the velocities of objects after an elastic collision, you can use the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. By setting the initial and final momentum and kinetic energy equal to each other, you can solve for the final velocities of the objects.

5. What are some real-world examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-world examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a tennis ball bouncing off of a racket, or two cars colliding and bouncing off of each other without any damage or loss of energy. Elastic collisions are also commonly seen in subatomic particle collisions in physics experiments.