Help with elastic collisions please

In summary: You need to get it into the form v1'=(an expression that does not refer to v1').So collect the v1' terms...v1' + (m1/m2)v1' = (m1/m2)v1v1'(1 + (m1/m2)) = (m1/m2)v1v1' = ((m1/m2)v1) / (1 + (m1/m2))v1' = ((m1/m2)v1) / ((m1+m2)/m2)v1' = ((m1/m2)(m2/m1)v1) / (m1+m2)v1' = ((m1-m2)/(
iwsc
Homework Statement
Take the general case of a body of mass m1 and velocity v1 elastically striking a stationary (v2=0) body of mass m2 head-on. Show that the final velocity v1' is given by v1'= ((m1-m2)/(m1+m2)) v1'.
Relevant Equations
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' (conservation of momentum)
0.5m1v1^2 + 0.5m2v2^2 = 0.5m1v1'^2 + 0.5m2v2'^2 (conservation of energy)
After simplifying the equations, I got:

m1(v1-v1') = m2v2' (momentum) and

m1(v1-v1')(v1+v1') = m2v2'^2 (kinetic energy)

From there, I'm not sure what to do. I referred to a textbook and it said to divide the energy equation by the momentum equation (the simplified versions) and then do a little algebra. I don't understand how to divide an equation by another equation nor do I know why we do the division in the first place. Help with this or another approach to the problem would be most appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
iwsc said:
divide the energy equation by the momentum equation
It means divide the LHS of one by the LHS of the other, and the RHSs likewise.
You will soon see why.

Likes iwsc
First, form the fraction
$$\frac{m_1 \left( v_1 - v_1' \right) \left( v_1 + v_1' \right)}{m_1 \left( v_1 - v_1' \right) }$$
Now, without changing the value of the fraction, use the kinetic energy equation to replace the numerator by ##m_2 {v'}_2^2##, an use the momentum equation to replace the denominator by ##m_2 {v'}_2##. Since they are equal, set the two equal to each other.

@haruspex already posted while I was typing.

Likes iwsc
haruspex said:
It means divide the LHS of one by the LHS of the other, and the RHSs likewise.
You will soon see why.

So:

(m1(v1 - v1')(v1 + v1')) / m1(v1 - v1') = (m2v2'^2) / (m2v2')
v1 + v1' = v2' ??

iwsc said:
So:

(m1(v1 - v1')(v1 + v1')) / m1(v1 - v1') = (m2v2'^2) / (m2v2')
v1 + v1' = v2' ??
Yes. That equation can also be got directly if you know Newton’s "experimental law". The general form of that is ##v_{1f}-v_{2f}=-e(v_{1i}-v_{2i})##, where i and f stand for initial and final, and e is the coefficient of elasticity.
In the present case, e is 1 and ##v_{2i}=0##.

haruspex said:
Yes. That equation can also be got directly if you know Newton’s "experimental law". The general form of that is ##v_{1f}-v_{2f}=-e(v_{1i}-v_{2i})##, where i and f stand for initial and final, and e is the coefficient of elasticity.
In the present case, e is 1 and ##v_{2i}=0##.

Okay, that part I'm good with, but I still don't understand how to get those equations to v1'= ((m1-m2)/(m1+m2)) v1'.

iwsc said:
Okay, that part I'm good with, but I still don't understand how to get those equations to v1'= ((m1-m2)/(m1+m2)) v1'.
First, that is not the correct target. It should be ##v_1'= \frac{m_1-m_2}{m_1+m_2} v_1##. Doesn’t make sense to have v1' both sides.
The benefit of dividing the energy equation by the momentum equation is that it gives you a linear equation. You can now combine this with your original momentum equation, also linear, in the usual way of solving linear simultaneous equations.
You have two unknowns, v1' and v2'. You are only interested in v1', so you need to manipulate them to eliminate v2'.

haruspex said:
First, that is not the correct target. It should be ##v_1'= \frac{m_1-m_2}{m_1+m_2} v_1##. Doesn’t make sense to have v1' both sides.
The benefit of dividing the energy equation by the momentum equation is that it gives you a linear equation. You can now combine this with your original momentum equation, also linear, in the usual way of solving linear simultaneous equations.
You have two unknowns, v1' and v2'. You are only interested in v1', so you need to manipulate them to eliminate v2'.

Sorry, the v1' at the end was a typo.

So then with

v1 + v1' = v2' and
m1(v1 - v1') =m2v2' which becomes (m1(v1 - v1')) / m2 = v2'

I would do v2' = v2' to get

v1 + v1' = (m1(v1 - v1')) / m2
v1' = ((m1(v1 - v1')) / m2 ) - v1

Is this correct? And from here, how do I go on to the wanted equation?

iwsc said:
Sorry, the v1' at the end was a typo.

So then with

v1 + v1' = v2' and
m1(v1 - v1') =m2v2' which becomes (m1(v1 - v1')) / m2 = v2'

I would do v2' = v2' to get

v1 + v1' = (m1(v1 - v1')) / m2
v1' = ((m1(v1 - v1')) / m2 ) - v1

Is this correct? And from here, how do I go on to the wanted equation?
You need to get it into the form v1'=(an expression that does not refer to v1').
So collect the v1' terms together.

haruspex said:
You need to get it into the form v1'=(an expression that does not refer to v1').
So collect the v1' terms together.
Sorry, I'm lost. I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.

iwsc said:
Sorry, I'm lost. I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing.
You have v1' on both sides of the equation at the end of post #8.
You need to move the terms around so that all references to v1' are on the same side, and all terms that do not have a factor v1' are on the other side.

Likes iwsc
iwsc said:
Homework Statement:: Take the general case of a body of mass m1 and velocity v1 elastically striking a stationary (v2=0) body of mass m2 head-on. Show that the final velocity v1' is given by v1'= ((m1-m2)/(m1+m2)) v1'.
Relevant Equations:: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2' (conservation of momentum)
0.5m1v1^2 + 0.5m2v2^2 = 0.5m1v1'^2 + 0.5m2v2'^2 (conservation of energy)

After simplifying the equations, I got:

m1(v1-v1') = m2v2' (momentum) and

m1(v1-v1')(v1+v1') = m2v2'^2 (kinetic energy)

From there, I'm not sure what to do. I referred to a textbook and it said to divide the energy equation by the momentum equation (the simplified versions) and then do a little algebra. I don't understand how to divide an equation by another equation nor do I know why we do the division in the first place. Help with this or another approach to the problem would be most appreciated!
Alternate Method.

When we solve quadratic equations, there's a well known formula that can be used so that one does not have to continually go through the process of completing the square. Much less well known is that for elastic collisions (with minor modification - any collision in fact) , there is also a formula that can be used that saves you wading through conservation of momentum and energy (probably good for you to do anyway!)

The formula relates to the equal and opposite impulse that both masses experience upon impact. If you know what that impulse ##\Delta P## is, you can simply subtract from the original momentum of the moving mass and divide by same mass to obtain final velocity. For perfectly elastic collisions: $$\Delta P=2\mu\Delta v$$ where ##\mu=\frac{m_1m_2}{m_1+m_2}## is the 'reduced mass' of the colliding bodies and ##\Delta v## is their relative velocity (##=v_1## in this case).

Likes iwsc
haruspex said:
You have v1' on both sides of the equation at the end of post #8.
You need to move the terms around so that all references to v1' are on the same side, and all terms that do not have a factor v1' are on the other side.

Alright, I got it! Thank you for the help!

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

Momentum is conserved in an elastic collision because the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is due to the fact that there is no external force acting on the system during the collision.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. Inelastic collisions are also characterized by a change in the shape of the objects involved.

4. How do you calculate the velocities of objects after an elastic collision?

The velocities of objects after an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects involved in the collision.

5. Can you provide an example of an elastic collision in real life?

An example of an elastic collision in real life is when two billiard balls collide on a pool table. The total kinetic energy of the system (the two balls) is conserved, and the momentum of each ball remains the same after the collision.