1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collision of a 90kg ball

1. Dec 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 90-g ball moving at 100 cm/s collides head-on with a stationary 10-g ball. Determine the speed of each after impact if (a) they stick together, (b) the collision is perfectly elastic.

2. Relevant equations
    p=mv

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already solved A, but I don't know how to do B. So far, I've gotten:

p=mv
    = 90(100)
    = 9000 g.cm/s

p=mv
    = 10 (0)
    = 0

so...
    p1+p2=p3
    m1 v1 + m2 v2 = (m1 +m2)v
    90(100) + 0 = 100v
    v= 90 cm/s

I don't understand how the answer can be 80 cm/s when they perfectly elastic. Shouldn't it be 90 cm/s?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

p1+p2=p3
    m1 v1 + m2 v2 = (m1 +m2)v
    90(100) + 0 = 100v
    v= 90 cm/s

This answer is for (a). In the part (b) after impact both bodies will have different velocities. So wrigth down two equations. One for coservation of linear momentum and another for conservation of energy. Then solve for the new velocities of the two bodies.

4. Dec 21, 2007 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

One method has already been given. You can also use the fact that the relative velocity before collision is equal to the relative velocity after collision, because the collision is fully elastic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?