1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision, unknown masses & velocities, known displacements

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    I am struggling with a problem that I could really use some assistance on. The problem sounds simple enough, but I am lost. here it is:

Block A is on a frictionless table with block B. Block B is at rest, block A heads toward B and collides in an elastic collision. Block B falls off of the table a horizontal distance "D" from the edge of the table. Block A flies off the table in the opposite direction and lands a distance of "2D" from the edge of the table.

Block A seems to be much smaller than B due to the displacements and with no friction, I dont think the length of the table matters...If you know of an example or tutorial I could get help from that would also be appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    I don't see a question...just remember that by "elastic" it means there's no loss of KE, and since the time taken to reach the floor by both blocks will be equal, the speed of A will indeed be double the speed of B.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    I need to show the masses and velocities of the blocks, but I don't know hoe to start the problem with the given information. I think I am struggling to grasp the algebra needed for this problem. Do you know of any tutorials similar to this one that I could compare or how to get started on the problem? Thanks.

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4
    You can work out ratios of speeds/velocities of course, but there's no way you can reach a numerical answer with the information you're given...

if you do want to pursue the ratios though i'd advice using the coefficient of restitution (elastic so e = 1) and the conservation of momentum equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook