1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Elastic/completely inelastic collision

1. Aug 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Particle 1 of mass 230 g and speed 2.80 m/s undergoes a one-dimensional collision with stationary particle 2 of mass 400 g.

2. Relevant equations
    What is the magnitude of the impulse on particle 1 if the collision is elastic?
    What is the magnitude of the impulse on particle 1 if the collision is completely inelastic?

3. The attempt at a solution

For the 1st Question, i found final velocity for particle 1, so that I can subtract the given initial velocity for particle 1 to get the impulse. i used this equation: v'1 = v1 (m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2), noting that initial velocity for particle 2 is zero ( as given ) and then I plugged in numbers and got -.755555
    Then I went back to equation for change in momentum: m1v'1 - m1v1 and got -817.7778 however this is wrong.

for the 2nd Question
    I used: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v'1 + m2v'2 , noting that m2v2 is zero ( as given v2 is zero ) and the m1v'1 = m2v'2 because they has to move together since they stick together. but Now i have two unknowns ( v'1 and v'2 ) and only 1 equation. I don't know how to solve it?

m1: mass for particle 1
    m2: mass for particle 2
    v1: initial velocity for particle 1
    v2: initial velocity for particle 2
    v'1: final velocity for particle 1
    v'2: final velocity for particle 2

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2010 #2

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

If they stick together, they will have a common final velocity.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook