Elastic glancing collision problem

In summary, the problem involves a glancing elastic collision between two particles with equal masses. One particle has an initial speed of 2.64 × 106 m/s and the other is at rest. After the collision, the struck particle moves off at a 45º angle to the initial velocity of the first particle. Using the equations v1i = v1f + v2f and v1i^2 = v1f^2 + v2f^2, we can solve for the final speed of the struck particle, which is approximately 1.9 x 10^6 m/s. The final velocities of the struck particle in the x and y directions are related and can be determined based on the direction of
kjean

Homework Statement

A particle with speed v1 = 2.64 × 10^6 m/s makes a glancing elastic collision with another particle that is at rest. Both particles have the same mass. After the collision, the struck particle moves off at 45º to v1. The speed of the struck particle after the collision is approximately? The answer is 1.9 x 10^6 m/s

Homework Equations

v1i = v1f + v2f

v1i^2 = v1f^2 + v2f^2

v1ix = v1fx + v2fx
0 m/s = v1fy + v2fy

The Attempt at a Solution

I have these equations but I don't understand how to solve it. Can someone please walk me through this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kjean said:

Homework Statement

A particle with speed v1 = 2.64 × 106 m/s makes a glancing elastic collision with another particle that is at rest. Both particles have the same mass. After the collision, the struck particle moves off at 45º to v1. The speed of the struck particle after the collision is approximately? The answer is 4.5 m/s

Homework Equations

v1i = v1f + v2f

v1i^2 = v1f^2 + v2f^2

v1ix = v1fx + v2fx
0 m/s = v1fy + v2fy

The Attempt at a Solution

I have these equations but I don't understand how to solve it. Can someone please walk me through this problem?
Hello kjean. Welcome to PF !

How are v2fx and v2fy related?

The final velocities for v2 have a x direction and a y direction.

kjean said:
The final velocities for v2 have a x direction and a y direction.
In what direction does the struck particle (particle 2) move after the collision?

The answer to that should tell you how v2fx and v2fy are related .

1. What is an elastic glancing collision?

An elastic glancing collision is a type of collision in which two objects collide with each other at an angle, rather than head-on. This results in a change in the direction of motion for both objects, but without any loss of kinetic energy.

2. What is the difference between an elastic glancing collision and an elastic head-on collision?

In an elastic head-on collision, two objects collide directly with each other, resulting in a change in both their direction and speed. In an elastic glancing collision, the objects collide at an angle and only their direction of motion is changed.

3. How is the velocity of objects calculated in an elastic glancing collision?

The velocity of objects in an elastic glancing collision can be calculated using the law of conservation of momentum and the law of conservation of kinetic energy. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

4. What are some real-life examples of elastic glancing collisions?

Some examples of elastic glancing collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, tennis players hitting a ball with a racket, and a hockey player hitting a puck with a stick. These collisions result in a change in the direction of motion of the objects without any loss of kinetic energy.

5. How does the angle of collision affect the outcome of an elastic glancing collision?

The angle of collision plays a significant role in an elastic glancing collision. A glancing collision at a smaller angle will result in a smaller change in direction for both objects, while a collision at a larger angle will result in a greater change in direction. Additionally, a collision at a right angle (90 degrees) will result in a complete change in direction for both objects.