1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two dimensional Elastic Collision

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem statement is: A helium atom traveling at a speed of 240 m/s hits an oxygen atom at rest. If the helium atom rebounds elastically, from the oxygen atom at an angle of 90° with respect to the original direction of motion, what are the final velocities of both atoms. (hint the oxygen is approximately 4 times as massive as the helium.)

2. Relevant equations
    I understand that Momentum is conserved Pi = Pf thus m*v1i + m*v2i = m*v1f + m*v2f
    Energy is also conserved in an elastic collision.
    1/2m * v^2 = ke

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can setup the coordinate system with +x being the initial direction of the helium particle. I also tried writing it in vector notation. my initial setup looked like this
    M*[ 240x, 0y, 0z] + 0 (because it is at rest) = M*[0x,sin90*|v1f|y, 0z] + 4M*[cos♤*|v2f|x,sin♤*|v2f|y, 0z]
    With ♤ being the unknown direction.
    I also attempted to find the magnitude of the velocities by CE, I found that 1/2 M *(240)^2 = 1/2M*(v1f)^2 + 2M*(v2f)^2. Canceling out the mass I found that 240^2 = v1f^2 /2 + 2*v2f^2. I am lost on the next step.
    Any direction would be helpful thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello. You have the correct approach. I think it's easier to do the algebra if you write the components of the velocity as v2x rather than v2⋅cosθ, etc. Thus, get equations for v1y, v2x, and v2y.

4. Nov 1, 2016 #3
    Ahhhh I see it now haha, by substituting V2x for cos♤*V2 and V2y for sin♤*V2 I can find the magnitudes without knowing the theta then I can plug an chug the systems of equations. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted