Elastic Gravitational Potential ENergy

In summary, the force constant of the spring can be calculated by using the equation 1/2mv^2 = Ek and setting it equal to 1/2kx^2 = Ee, where x is the distance stretched by the spring. This can be further simplified by using the equation Eg = mgh and taking into account the change in potential energy due to the spring and gravitational forces. By solving for k, the force constant of the spring can be determined.
salman213
1. A spring is suspended froma ceiling and a 256 g mass is attached to it and pulled down to stretch the spring by 18.2 cm. THe mass is released and travels through the equilibrium position with a speed of 0.746 m/s. Calculate the force constant of the spring/

2. 1/2kx^2 = Ee
1/2mv^2 = Ek
Eg = mgh

3. (DeltaEk - DeltaEg) = DeltaEe
I made my reference point where the spring is stretched until so i guess it has a heigh of 18.2 cm
1/2(0.256)(0.746)^2 - (0.256)(9.81)(0.182) = 1/2k(0.182^2)

and i solve for k

I have another post alread so if u have not read that what then ill tell u here that i have an exam comming up in a few days so i was reviewing my old review problems/tests/ and i found this question on my older test that i screwed up..but he never went through how to do it so i d k how to do it lol

thanks for anyones help in advance:)
This quest

Physics news on Phys.org
any help pleaseeeeeee

You have the right concept but you want DeltaEe-DeltaEg=DeltaEk. Potential energy of spring-gravitational potential energy=kinetic energy.

ahhh that makes sense cool..

so since the energy of the spring is being converted to kinetic energy but some of the spring energy is being reduced due to gravitational energy not all of it gets transferred to kinetic..right?
so basically

1/2(0.256)(0.746)^2 = 1/2k(0.182^2) - (0.256)(9.81)(0.182)

and hten i solve for k..

salman213 said:
ahhh that makes sense cool..

so since the energy of the spring is being converted to kinetic energy but some of the spring energy is being reduced due to gravitational energy not all of it gets transferred to kinetic..right?
so basically

1/2(0.256)(0.746)^2 = 1/2k(0.182^2) - (0.256)(9.81)(0.182)

and hten i solve for k..

Exactly correct.

1. What is elastic gravitational potential energy?

Elastic gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in a material or object when it is stretched or compressed due to the force of gravity.

2. How is elastic gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for elastic gravitational potential energy is E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the energy in joules, k is the spring constant in newtons per meter, and x is the displacement in meters.

3. What is the relationship between elastic gravitational potential energy and gravity?

Elastic gravitational potential energy is directly proportional to the force of gravity and the distance the material or object is stretched or compressed.

4. Can elastic gravitational potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, elastic gravitational potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy if the stretched or compressed material or object is released and allowed to move.

5. What are some real-life applications of elastic gravitational potential energy?

Some examples of elastic gravitational potential energy in everyday life include: a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a bungee cord, and a trampoline.