Elastic properties of solids problem

In summary, to determine the shear force necessary to punch a 1-cm diameter hole in a 0.5 cm thick steel plate, the shear stress in steel must not exceed 4.0 x 10^8 N/m^2. The correct solution is 6.28 x 10^4 N, not 157 N. The surface area of the hole is 7.85 x 10^-5 m^2.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

If the shear stress in steel exceeds about 4.0 x 10^8 N/m^2, the steel ruptures. Determine the shear force necessary to punch a 1-cm diameter hole in a steel plate that is 0.5 cm thick.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I tried to solve this problem was by doing

4.0 x 10^8 N/m^2 = x/((.005^2)*3.14*.005)

and solving for x, where x is the amount of Newtons necessary to punch the hole in the steel plate. I did this because the ratio of Newtons to m^2 must be 4.0 x 10^8 N/m^2. So I found the area of the plate punched out and solved for x. The solution to this problem is 6.28 x 10^4 N and I got 157 N.

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the surface area of the hole?

Chestermiller said:
What is the surface area of the hole?
The surface area of the hole should be 7.85 x 10^-5 m^2.

BrainMan said:
The surface area of the hole should be 7.85 x 10^-5 m^2.
That's not what I get. How are you calculating it?
You are told the diameter and the depth, and you want the surface area inside the hole.

Likes BrainMan
haruspex said:
That's not what I get. How are you calculating it?
You are told the diameter and the depth, and you want the surface area inside the hole.
Ok I realized my mistake. Thanks!

1. What are elastic properties of solids?

The elastic properties of solids refer to the ability of a solid material to deform under stress and then return to its original shape when the stress is removed. This behavior is known as elasticity.

2. What are the factors that affect the elastic properties of solids?

The elastic properties of solids depend on factors such as the type of material, its physical structure, temperature, and the magnitude and direction of the applied force.

3. What are the different types of elastic properties of solids?

The main types of elastic properties of solids are Young's modulus, shear modulus, and bulk modulus. Young's modulus measures the resistance to linear deformation, shear modulus measures the resistance to shear deformation, and bulk modulus measures the resistance to volume deformation.

4. How are elastic properties of solids measured?

The elastic properties of solids are typically measured through experiments such as tensile tests, compression tests, and shear tests. These tests involve applying a known stress or strain to the material and measuring the resulting deformation.

5. Why are elastic properties of solids important?

The elastic properties of solids are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of materials under different types of stress. They are also crucial in the design and engineering of structures and materials, as well as in fields such as geology and seismology.