Elastic recovery-can you just check if i've got it right

• Thread starter maha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic
In summary, the question asks to calculate the elastic recovery of a wire with a diameter of 0.46 mm and a length of 100 mm, when subjected to a tensile force of 2356 N beyond its yield point. The information provided includes the modulus of elasticity (67 GPa), yield strength (698 MPa), and tensile strength (1379 MPa). The calculated answer is 1.04 mm of elastic recovery, which only takes into account the elastic range. The cross-sectional area and stress value are not needed as they are related to the plastic part of the graph.
maha
Hiya
Im doing material science as part of my dental technology course. I've got a question, and I'm fidning it hard to tackle.If anyone can help or set me in the right direction, i would be most grateful

Wire, of diameter 0.46 mm, length 100mm.it is subjected to tensile force of 2356 N, taking it beyond its yield point.
Calculate, in mm, the elastic recovery that would occur upon removal of the tensile load

Info given: Modulas of elasticity 67 GPa
Yield Strength 698 MPa
Tensile Strength 1379 MPa

okies, i think i got it. so, to calculate elastic recovery, i can only use the elastic range, so in order to work out elastic strain, i use yield strength/modulas of elasticiy. that gives me an answer of 1.041791045 N
Then, strain = extension/original, so to work out extension, i caluclate, strain x original length, which gives me 1.041791045 x 10-3 m
So answer is 1.04 mm of elastic recovery?

So then , i do not need to calulate the cross-sectional area or the stress value?

Can somebody just check this for me please :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't we have this discussion already? :smile:

Answer: Yes, it's correct!.

yes, but i wasnt sure if i was right that's why i posted it back up. How come the inforamtion of information of the tensile force and tensile load is not used. Is this because they are related to plastic part of the graph?

Thank you for your help :) hope i get the 4 marks

Because the elastic recovery will only be upto the Elastic limit, if it goes after such limit, there will be permanent deformations on the material, like i said on your other thread.

1. What is elastic recovery?

Elastic recovery is the ability of a material to return to its original shape and size after being stretched or deformed.

2. How is elastic recovery measured?

Elastic recovery is typically measured by the percentage of the material's original length or shape that is regained after being stretched or deformed.

3. What factors affect elastic recovery?

Elastic recovery can be affected by several factors such as the material's composition, temperature, and the amount and type of force applied to it.

4. What is the difference between elastic recovery and plastic deformation?

Elastic recovery refers to the temporary deformation of a material that is reversible, meaning it can return to its original shape. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, is permanent and results in a change in the material's shape or size.

5. Why is elastic recovery important in materials science?

Elastic recovery is an important property to consider in materials science as it can affect the durability, strength, and performance of materials. It is also critical in the design and engineering of products that require the ability to withstand repeated stress or force without permanently deforming.