Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Election Day!

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It's finally here! (Over) Post your experiences and track the results here.

I live in a small town near Philadelphia, PA and the line at the poll a few minutes after it opened was a good 50yds/100 people long outside the building. That would probably take an hr to get through, so I left. I'll try again at 6 tonight.

There was a transit strike in Philadelphia, which would have been a nightmare. But Philly is heavily democratic and unions even moreso, so they resolved it yesterday. So that's good... On second thought, could you imagine the magnitude of the train wreck if a union accidentally swung a major swing state to Trump? Coulda been fun!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

I'll be leaving work early so that I can go to the polls around 1:30. Shouldn't be too bad at that time.

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I said earlier, elsewhere, voted early (Colorado) and abstained far as "pestilence" goes --- wouldn't want either to think he/she had a mandate.

5. Nov 8, 2016 #4

Drakkith

I voted a week or two ago on campus. Quick and painless.

6. Nov 8, 2016 #5

russ_watters

I mentioned in the other thread (thought the whole conversation would migrate here, but it didn't....) that 3rd parties and write-ins will probably do well and are hard to quantify ahead of time. Non-votes may also do well and they are even tougher to quantify. I do hope the full statistics on that get published (if there is a reporting mechanism)...not that I expect news outlets to be perceptive to actual news....

I've heard from others that they are staying away from the polls today because they don't like the choies, but I don't like that both because there are other things to vote for besides President and because it is impossible to distinguish that from apathy.

Ari Fleischer announced a few days ago he was going to non-vote for President after previously backing Trump.

7. Nov 8, 2016 #6

mheslep

Gold Member

Voted mid-day, No queue at all. Staff reported big lines early, expect same late.

8. Nov 8, 2016 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's two (at least) of us.

9. Nov 8, 2016 #8
    Quick question: in principle, can a write-in win the election?

10. Nov 8, 2016 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In principle, yes; in practice, not a chance.

11. Nov 8, 2016 #10

Borg

Gold Member

12. Nov 8, 2016 #11

Borg

Gold Member

Same here. I had an agonizing 15 second wait to check in. :oldtongue:

13. Nov 8, 2016 #12

Evo

Ok, this thread is against the rules, but I will allow it since it is a special day. I will close the POTUS thread now and re-direct to this thread, and will close this when the winner is announced.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
  14. Nov 8, 2016 #13
    I voted this morning, no queue at all. Of course I live in one of the least densely populated precincts in Florida. I'll not say whom I voted for, but it is the first time I voted for a mainstream candidate since Carter/Reagan. All other elections I voted third party or wrote in my favorite candidate.

15. Nov 8, 2016 #14

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I voted in Indiana. It was easy.

16. Nov 8, 2016 #15

jtbell

I took off work early for lunch so I could vote first. It was about 11 AM when I arrived at my polling place, the YMCA gym, same place I've voted for the last 30 years, and nobody was in line. One person had just checked in and was heading toward the booths.

I'm sure it was / will be busier early in the morning, during lunch hour, and after 5 PM. Not very many people can take off work casually like I did.

This precinct, covering about half of my small town, probably includes about 5000 people. I've had to wait up to 15 minutes or so, in previous years, both to check in and for a booth to open up.

South Carolina is a reliably Republican state. I think the only really competitive contests were for two county offices: sheriff and coroner.

17. Nov 8, 2016 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I voted about two hours ago.
    The queue in the Taco Bell Taco Tuesday drive-thru had three times as many vehicles, and took 50 times longer!
    Ahhhhhhhhhh!

election.monitors.2016.11.08.1054.jpg

The monitors don't count, as they were just "watching" us. :bugeye:

18. Nov 8, 2016 #17
    How late do these polls run usually?

19. Nov 8, 2016 #18

BillTre

Science Advisor

I voted by mail about a week and a half ago (I live in Oregon!).
    I am so glad I don't have to go through the meaningless hassle of going to a voting place and standing in line, possibly for a long time and bad weather.
    I don't understand why all states don't do this.
    Its cheaper, allows much more time to vote/person, automatically generates a paper trail.

20. Nov 8, 2016 #19
    In NZ, when a general election is held, employers are required by law to allow their workers time off to vote. Of course if you finish at 3.30pm, but decide to go at 12pm, you would be expected to go back to work to finish your shift. Or if you go at 3pm and end your shift then. The employer cannot deduct pay, either, for that period off work.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1993/0087/latest/DLM309807.html

21. Nov 8, 2016 #20

mheslep

Gold Member

Does NZ allow absentee and early voting, i.e. days or weeks ahead of the election date?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook