Electric dipole moment in gaseous species.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
V0ODO0CH1LD
Messages
278
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider the following species in the gaseous state: [itex]NF_3, \ BeF_2, \ BCl_3, \ KrF_4 \ and \ SeO^{2-}_4[/itex].
Which of them have electric dipole moment?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried google, but I can't figure out how to check that..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw their representative structures, like you draw tetrahedral structure for methane? That can give you the clue.
 
How is drawing the representative structures supposed to give me a clue on which species have electric dipole moment? Is it like, in the case with [itex]BeF_2[/itex], where [itex]Be[/itex] is left with a positive charge of 2+ and each [itex]F[/itex] with a negative charge of 1-. So it will have electric dipole moment?
 
Example to what I said:

BeF2 in gaseous form is a linear molecule, like F---Be---F, so the dipoles are F---Be and Be---F. Now can you determine the net dipole moment?

What I asked you is to draw the structures of molecules using VBT and VSEPR theory. Like in the case of NF3
320px-Nitrogen-trifluoride-2D-dimensions.png