1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric dipole moment in gaseous species.

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following species in the gaseous state: [itex] NF_3, \ BeF_2, \ BCl_3, \ KrF_4 \ and \ SeO^{2-}_4 [/itex].
    Which of them have electric dipole moment?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried google, but I can't figure out how to check that..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Can you draw their representative structures, like you draw tetrahedral structure for methane? That can give you the clue.

4. Nov 13, 2012 #3
    How is drawing the representative structures supposed to give me a clue on which species have electric dipole moment? Is it like, in the case with [itex] BeF_2 [/itex], where [itex] Be [/itex] is left with a positive charge of 2+ and each [itex] F [/itex] with a negative charge of 1-. So it will have electric dipole moment?

5. Nov 13, 2012 #4

AGNuke

Gold Member

Example to what I said:

BeF2 in gaseous form is a linear molecule, like F---Be---F, so the dipoles are F---Be and Be---F. Now can you determine the net dipole moment?

What I asked you is to draw the structures of molecules using VBT and VSEPR theory. Like in the case of NF3
    320px-Nitrogen-trifluoride-2D-dimensions.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook