1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field and Magnetic Field

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    I'm studying for an exam on Saturday and some of the old practice exams don't have explanations for the solutions so I came on here for help. Thanks in advance.

1. A conducting sphere of radium 2m carries a charge of 3uC. A point charge of -2uC is 3m away from the sphere center. Find the magnitude of electric field at point P halfway between the sphere center and the point charge.

The correct answer is 0. However, I'm not too sure I understand why it's 0. Is it because the point P is inside the conducting sphere?

2. A square loop is placed in the plane of the page next to a wire with current I going into the page. If the current I increases with time, what is the direction of the force on the loop?

The correct answer is "the force is zero". However, I thought it would be up because of the right hand rule for the magnetic field of wires carrying a current.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2010 #2
    If you draw yourself a circle and arbitrarily mark the charge on the spheres surface (+ve since the charge is 3uC).

Now you know the concept of an electric field line: it must follow the path a +ve charge would; with this you can see that there is no way to move a field line from the outside of a complete circle and find the end of that line inside the circle without breaking the shapes confines.

Now, if you can draw the field lines, what does that mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook