Electric Field and Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discussed two problems related to electric fields and magnetic forces. The first problem involved finding the magnitude of electric field at a point between a conducting sphere and a point charge. The correct answer was 0, which can be explained by the fact that the point is inside the conducting sphere. The second problem involved determining the direction of force on a square loop placed near a wire with increasing current. The correct answer was "the force is zero" due to the right hand rule for magnetic fields. Additionally, the concept of electric field lines was mentioned to further explain the first problem.
nightseeress
I'm studying for an exam on Saturday and some of the old practice exams don't have explanations for the solutions so I came on here for help. Thanks in advance.

1. A conducting sphere of radium 2m carries a charge of 3uC. A point charge of -2uC is 3m away from the sphere center. Find the magnitude of electric field at point P halfway between the sphere center and the point charge.

The correct answer is 0. However, I'm not too sure I understand why it's 0. Is it because the point P is inside the conducting sphere?

2. A square loop is placed in the plane of the page next to a wire with current I going into the page. If the current I increases with time, what is the direction of the force on the loop?

The correct answer is "the force is zero". However, I thought it would be up because of the right hand rule for the magnetic field of wires carrying a current.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw yourself a circle and arbitrarily mark the charge on the spheres surface (+ve since the charge is 3uC).

Now you know the concept of an electric field line: it must follow the path a +ve charge would; with this you can see that there is no way to move a field line from the outside of a complete circle and find the end of that line inside the circle without breaking the shapes confines.

Now, if you can draw the field lines, what does that mean?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in which an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by other electric charges and can exert a force on other charges within its vicinity.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in which a magnetic material or a moving electric charge experiences a force. It is created by magnets or by electric currents and can exert a force on other magnets or moving charges.

How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are considered to be two aspects of the same phenomenon, known as the electromagnetic field. An electric field can generate a magnetic field and vice versa. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

What are some common applications of electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields have numerous applications in our everyday lives. Some common examples include generators and motors, which use magnetic fields to produce electricity and convert it into mechanical energy; MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to produce detailed images of the body; and radio waves, which rely on both electric and magnetic fields to transmit signals through the air.

How do electric and magnetic fields affect the behavior of charged particles?

Charged particles, such as electrons, protons, and ions, are affected by both electric and magnetic fields. Electric fields can accelerate or decelerate charged particles, while magnetic fields can cause them to change direction. Together, these fields play a crucial role in the movement and behavior of charged particles in various systems, from atoms and molecules to entire galaxies.