Electric field between two spheres

In summary: The electric field inside the shell is simply the sum of the fields outside the shell. You do not need to solve for the electric field inside the shell, as it is already given by the charge distribution and the geometry of the shell.
DrummingAtom

Homework Statement

If the inner sphere of radius a has charge +Q and the outer sphere of radius b has charge -Q/2. What's the electric field between them?

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use Gauss' law then I would have E*4*pi*a^2 = Q/ε then just solve for E. Is that correct? It seems like the outer sphere would affect the E-field on the inner sphere. By the way, they don't say that these are conducting spheres.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
DrummingAtom said:

Homework Statement

If the inner sphere of radius a has charge +Q and the outer sphere of radius b has charge -Q/2. What's the electric field between them?

If I use Gauss' law then I would have E*4*pi*a^2 = Q/ε then just solve for E. Is that correct? It seems like the outer sphere would affect the E-field on the inner sphere. By the way, they don't say that these are conducting spheres.

Thanks for any help.

You have the field at r = a correct, but what about a < r < b? No, the outer sphere does no affect the E field on the inner sphere. Believe in Dr. Gauss! And also no, it doesn't matter if the sphers are conducting or insulators in this case.

Thanks for the reply. Is this the E-field between the two spheres:

E = Q/(ε*4*pi*r^2) for a < r < b ?

I'm still confused how the outer sphere doesn't affect the E-field between them..

DrummingAtom said:
Thanks for the reply. Is this the E-field between the two spheres:

E = Q/(ε*4*pi*r^2) for a < r < b ?
Right.

I'm still confused how the outer sphere doesn't affect the E-field between them..

For the same reason that, if you go inside the Earth, the only part exerting gravity on you is the part below you.

At a point r in your sphere, some of the charges outside r will set up a + field and others will set up a - field. Some will push a test charge at r one way, others the opposite way. The net result is complete cancellation of each others' fields. It's not an easy task to do that integration, so again - believe Dr. Gauss!

DrummingAtom said:

Homework Statement

There are several additional pieces of information needed before this problem could possibly be solved.

Questions:
Are the spheres concentric? (Do they have a common center?)

Is the outer sphere actually a spherical shell? -- That's was is implied, seemingly.

Is the charge distributed uniformly? -- or at least in some sort of symmetrical manner

Thanks for any help.
Suppose you have a uniformly charged spherical shell. What is the electric field inside the shell?
This situation is often covered even before introducing Gauss's Law.​

What is the electric field between two spheres?

The electric field between two spheres is a measure of the force per unit charge acting on a charged particle at any point between the two spheres. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is the electric field between two spheres calculated?

The electric field between two spheres can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the electric field between two spheres?

The electric field between two spheres is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the spheres, the distance between them, and the medium (such as air or water) in which the spheres are located. It is also influenced by any other nearby charged objects.

How does the electric field change as the distance between the two spheres changes?

The electric field between two spheres is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the spheres increases, the electric field decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the electric field increases.

What is the significance of the electric field between two spheres?

The electric field between two spheres plays an important role in understanding the behavior of charged particles and the concept of electric potential. It also has practical applications in various fields, such as electronics and telecommunications, where knowledge of electric fields is necessary for designing and controlling devices.