1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside a charged sphere

1. Jan 12, 2014 #1
    If we have a uniformly charged spherical shell, supposing that the shell is non-conducting, could we have any electric field inside the sphere? Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This looks like homework - and it is clearly a homework-like question. What do you think?

Can there be additional objects in the setup?

4. Jan 12, 2014 #3
    I couldn't give any justification that there is no electric filed inside.

5. Jan 12, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Good - if there are additional objects in the setup, there can be an electric field.

If there are not, think about symmetry.

6. Jan 13, 2014 #5
    There are not additional objects. But according to symmetry, using the Gauss's law, I found only that the inside electric field have to be normal to the surface and no reason for being zero. By symmetry do you mean that the inside electric field by one part of the surface is neutralized by the other so if we don't have symmetry, then the inside electric field is not necessarily zero and some parts of charges can be accumulated on the inside surface?

7. Jan 13, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Try to apply it to a sphere around the center of the object.

8. Jan 13, 2014 #7
    Thanks. I think I got it. In the case of spherical shell there is no electric field inside but in the case of non-symmetrical shells there is no reason that inside electric field be necessarily zero. Okay?

9. Jan 14, 2014 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted